Monday, 20 August 2012

My first Turtle dove

The only time I 've ever seen a Turtle Dove was at Wicken Fen in 2009. Such is the decline of this species I was beginning to wonder if I would ever see one again. The one I saw at Wicken fen was to far away for an image so I enjoyed watching it through the scope and listening to it's unmistakable "turring" sound. I personally think the Cuckoo and Turtle dove are one of the few birds whose call that once you've heard, you'll never forget it. However the one I got today was obviously not calling due to the time of the year etc.
I pulled into the carpark at Stortons gravel pit this morning and saw it perched in a tree. I knew if I got out of the car or got to close it would fly off. So I put both windows down and then parked up. Gave it a few minutes to settle down and managed to get a few images, awkward angle and branches in the way kind of left me gutted I couldn't get a better image but was kind of happy to break my Turtle Dove "duck". I can now move it off my bogey list of birds I've failed to get an image of (just a few thousand left on that list now). The bird didn't stay for too long thanks to the arrival of some very noisy dogs and the bird flew off. I tried to relocate the bird, and spent a couple of hours trying to do so, but to no avail. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Other birds of note on site were Common Whitthroats,Willow warbler,Chiff Chaff and Reed Warbler. I posted two image on here and there's another extra two on my website.



No comments:

Post a Comment