Monday, 1 October 2012

GOLDCRESTS

QUIZ MASTER/HOST: "FOR YOUR LAST QUESTION, AND A CHANCE TO WIN THE TOP PRIZE, WHAT IS THE UK'S SMALLEST BIRD?"

CONTESTANT: "IT'S THE WREN"

QUIZ MASTER/HOST:"THAT'S RIGHT....."

ME:"IS IT F**K"
Well that was the scene as I sat down for a cuppa after work this afternoon, my girlfriend cracking up with laughter, "you call yourself a birdwatcher" she managed to get out between the laughter, "birdphotographer actually" I said. "I'm telling you now that's wrong" I carried on. I then explained for her benefit the size difference, got my Collins bird book out, flipped to the Goldcrest and Wren page (happily the same), "See the Goldcrest is 8.5cm to 9.5cm, the Wren 9cm to 10cm, it's smaller...so there", " The book must be wrong" eyes glazing over and a smile she said. 

GOLDCREST (REGULUS REGULUS), SMALLER THAN A WREN!
GOLDCREST (REGULUS REGULUS), CALLING, THOUGH SOME MIGHT NOT HEAR IT!
So I grabbed my camera and went to the Yew tree at the bottom of the garden, always a Goldcrest down there, and fair play to my long suffering girlfriend (Sara) for coming to have a look, she said she would humour me as long as I don't write on my blog that every time she see's a dragonfly she runs away screaming....I promised her I wouldn't. Didn't have to wait long as there's currently three in there at any one time, and some selective pruning a few years back meant I had a few branches with no foliage on them poking out into some sort of light. I could see the three birds chasing around what looked like crane flies. The other unique thing about the Goldcrest for those unfamiliar with the species is the older you are the less likely you are to hear them. As you get older your hearing starts to fade and the Goldcrest has such a high "frequency" like call you just stop hearing them so clearly, luckily I'm not there yet as not being able to hear them would make it SO much harder to find BRITAIN'S SMALLEST bird. After about an hour photographing the Goldcrest I got some images for this post, sadly the flight image was a little soft but gives me a new photograph project aptly named "Project Goldcrest flight shot". Hopefully it won't be to hard to get, and the other great thing about Goldcrest is there confiding nature, I always have at least one bird in the garden during the winter. Though they do nip around very quickly and you have to get the bird in the viewfinder quickly otherwise they're gone.
SARA: "THEY ARE SO TINY AND CUTE".....wow she actually found a bird interesting, miracles do happen. And she pointed out from the image below, that from head on they look "grumpy", what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Great post Doug, and of course the images are ACE too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Paul, though I did get a smack from Sara.

    ReplyDelete