Wednesday, 14 November 2012

CYBORG AND THE REDSTART

COMMON REDSTART (PHOENICURUS PHOENICURUS) Male, Cley Marshes, Sept'08
One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made when I first started photography was I used to back all my images on to Cd-rom's. You get yourself a camera, lens, computer and computer software you even buy a few books etc. I've made loads of mistakes from dodgy exposure, poor composition (still do that!), not enough of depth of field etc. But very quickly you sort them mistakes out, but the worse you can ever do is back up onto discs. Buy yourself an external hard drive, much more reliable then a mini Frisbees, they're not expensive these days. One problem I had was a lot of my images were on these discs and after swapping over to different laptops and then PC some just refuse to play/open and some are scratched. resulting in lost images forever or so I thought....


COMMON REDSTART (PHOENICURUS PHOENICURUS), Male,Cley Marshes, Sept'08
Cyborg is a very strange bloke at work he is Mr.IT, always carrying around a laptop, mucking around with servers and downloading/uploading data to our invaluable PDA's, In a chance conversation I happened to mention by dilemma and nicely he explained what to do, sadly I think he was speaking dutch as I didn't understand a word he said, "Do you want me to do it?", so I handed him over about 38 disks (4gb ones full) and legged out of his office shouting "thanks".
So half way through today I got a call from him, "Doug I put all them images on a memory sticks, but I think there's a problem with some images, I'm looking at a Robin with a black head", I laughed and said thanks. He managed some 1000+ RAW images and even more "worked Jpegs", I quick preview when I got home and I've "re-found" some Barn Owls images from the carpark(!!!) at Summer Leys that I never got to work, Bittern flight shots from Minsmere and various waders and other birds that I had worked on, but I've got back the original Raw files...priceless, to me anyway.
So I think I owe "CYBORG" a beverage of the alcohol variety. Thanks.
First ones I went to were the Common Redstart that I found for "a tick" whilst at Cley Marshes back in Sept'08...I think I had been photographing/birding for approximately a year and a bit. But I got lucky as I stumbled across a female (Ben the Plumber found that one) a Salthouse Marshes as you walk south from the carpark. It was a lifer for the both of us.
COMMON REDSTART (PHOENICURUS PHOENICURUS),Female Salthouse Sept'08

2 comments:

  1. Great images here Doug - so pleased that you got them back.

    I had a similar problem with CDs/DVDs that I'd written, due mainly to buying cheap discs. I chucked them out when I found I couldn't read them. Seems I might have acted a bit prematurely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I understood how he done it, I just don't understand it all to be honest computer tech etc, so I've found some more discs for Cyborg to have a look at:)

      Delete