Tuesday, 20 November 2012

PEREGRINE WITH PREY

PEREGRINE FALCON (FALCO PEREGRINUS), NOT STRUGGLING FOR FOOD
Well the above image was taken on Sunday after I decided to visit an undisclosed site. The main aim was to photograph the Peregrine as it came back to what looks like (to me anyway) a day time/between meals roosting spot. I've seen the bird several times perched up, my aim was to just go and see if for the fourth visit I would not only get a fourth view of the bird but with clear skies a chance at a few images. So off I went and got to a point at the location I was happy with, I was just setting up my gear when I saw a flock of gulls and Lapwings leave the field with haste, crap, my camera was set at minus 2/3 exposure as I had been photographing something else. I caught a glimpse of the Peregrine as it dived after some Lapwings and disappear behind both the small undulation of the field and a small thicket, with the binoculars I was busy scanning the horizon ignoring fleeing Lapwings but couldn't see it, so turned my attention to my gear and quickly got set up and "hid" myself a bit better. Sure enough after what seemed like twenty minutes or so I saw a rather unelegant flight pattern of a bird, the Peregrine was heading my way, also being pursued by a couple of brave Crows. It's funny you watch a Peregrine make an attack and it's breathless. At a very high altitude you watch it soar around before pulling it's wings back and diving and at such speed, the birds on the ground already up at circling/flocking together for protection gaining height to negate that killer dive, though the Peregrine will open one, sometimes both wings to slow itself down or change it's angle of attack, if you're lucky enough to be close to an attack, you'll notice despite birds being closer to it, the Peregrine has already picked it's target and doesn't detour for another, closer bird and again if you're close enough and the Peregrine is still travelling at speed, you might just hear a dull thud as it hits it's target...sadly once it has it's prey it's kind of awkward looking in flight...a bit clumpy and slow. Sadly on the image above it wasn't exposed quite right and a bit shadowy on one side, but from the remains in it's talons can you guess what it predated. I struggled and I was there, so if you manage to guess the right species you're a very,very,very good birder!
Sadly below is a Kestrel image I took today in the wet conditions, I say sadly because to me this bird HAS DEFINITELY lost weight and is looking a bit gaunt (look at the eye sockets), perhaps still struggling to find prey in the very wet fields? And below the Kestrel is a Lottie also from Sunday but fro Sixfields. Quite amusing as with so much attention being paid to the Waxwings these and Bullfinches were going past, ignored, even by me lol
KESTREL (FALCO TINNUNCULUS), TO ME LOOKING SKINNY AND GAUNT!

LONG TAILED TIT (AEGITHALOS CAUDATUS), CALLING OUT LOUD

4 comments:

  1. Great shot of the Peregrine Doug; but I guess I'm a crap birder. Dunno what he's got there. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, To be fair Keith I was under the bird as it passed over and I couldn't tell, it was only after the bird had left and left behind "angel wings" I could teell what it was.

      Delete
  2. I am not a birder and I know what it is!

    Paul O'Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but you were there Paul, so that's cheating and I qoute "what the heck has it got in it's talons Doug?" LOL

      Delete