Thursday, 8 November 2012

SUMMER LEYS 8TH NOVEMBER 2012

KESTREL (FALCO TINNUNCULUS), GREAT VIEW FROM PAUL BRITAIN HIDE,DESPITE THE GREY SKIES
Well on my previous post I mentioned the "man-made" scrapes along side the A16, when I awoke I went and had a look, they definitely look like man made scrapes, shallow water (not flood water), raised pebble island on one and pebble shoreline, very odd, I would love to know from anyone who lives in Lincolnshire way what exactly they are. There was in one of the fields a very distant Barn Owl, Lapwings and Gulls on the "man-made" scrapes, the best gull being a Common Gull, oh well.
Anyway I awoke this morning with a "MUST D-I-Y" list from Sarah pinned to the bedroom door (and front door and fridge door, so she meant it!!) 1) Clean feeders and top them up, easy one that, with some live meal worms placed for the Goldcrest, only two there now 2)Move Tumble dryer, where to? Left that one (ha-hah) 3)Fit outside tap, where's Ben when I need him, done and dusted, with 2 out of 3 completed it was time to shake off the cobwebs and get out. It was incredibly bright first thing but by the time I got to the ol'pit it was a bit gloomy. The Wildlife Trust were busy having a late bonfire night so I avoided the top end of the reserve though I quickly popped into the Pioneer hide to see if the Bittern was on show, it wasn't and there wasn't much on the water either, so a slow walk round to the Paul Britain hide, a few Linnets,Reed Buntings etc but again a bit quiet. Bumped into another "togger" and his wife exchanged greetings and carried on. The word from the hide about the Bittern was it hadn't been seen today, not a surprise given a work party was on site, so given I could see some Golden Plovers on Gull Island I trotted off to the screen hide. on the way round stumbled upon a roving TIT flock, mostly Long Tail Tits, but mixed in were Blue and Great Tits and surprisingly a Wren, I would encounter the same roving flock (with a Wren in it) a couple of times during the course of the day.
GREEN WOODPECKER (PICUS VIRIDIS),FROM MY STOMP THROUGH EASTON MAUDIT
I wasn't having much luck with the Golden Plovers and the sky, but carried on regardless as I enjoy listening to their call and when they change direction the shimmering effect of all those birds. As I stood in the hide several Golden Eye flew in from behind me and several Teal but still not as much wildfowl as I would normally expect at this time of the year.  Still a lot of Fieldfare were pouring over. From my vantage point I could see a Kestrel hunting Pete Wilds field and chanced that it might head towards the Paul Britain hide so off I went. I popped upstairs and opened up the windows I thought I would need. Sure enough along it came at first being mobbed by a Crow (which kept having a go at the Plover's..weird), it eventually got to within reach for a decent image but given the horrible grey sky I wasn't hoping for brilliant images but as I was just getting ready I heard "scrunch", the stone pathway giving an indicator of approaching people, however to my surprise they stopped in their tracks and I was able to get a few shots and had brilliant close up views at eye level of the hovering Kestrel, nice one.
As the bird flew off the approaching birders came up to the hide and sat down, not seen them before and when one of them asked if that was a Kestrel I realised from their accents they weren't from the UK, New Zealand to be precise, well one was the other was from the UK. I thanked them for waiting whilst I got some images, and they said it wasn't a problem. I had a pleasant chat with them and I left feeling quite happy that someone realised what I was trying to do, and if they had carried on to the hide probably would've flushed the Kestrel away, of course they were within their right to have carried on, most do, but it was a small act of acknowledgement/kindness/fieldcraft (call it what you want) that to me meant a lot....just a shame the sky was pants.
GOLDEN PLOVER (PLUVIALIS APRICARLIA), HOPEFULLY WITH BETTER LIGHT, BETTER IMAGES TO COME

9 comments:

  1. Three good images there Doug. I do like that woodpecker.
    Strangely enough, myself and pal Trevor almost went to Summer Leys yesterday. In the end we finished up at Pitsford, and saw the Great Egret.
    I'm sure we'll bump into each other one day lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good call Keith (pitsford) as there wasn't much up the ol'pit, I hope the Great White Egret stays put for the winter

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Your getting some great results there Doug, I love the Green Woodpecker too - great pic!Mind if I ask what equipment you're using? Many Waxwings down there? 300 + in York area and one or two pics of them in flight on my own blog here -

      http://timbobagginsabroad.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/waxwing-invasion-gathers-strength-in.html

      all the best and looking forward to more posts.

      Tim

      Delete
    4. Hi Tim, I'm currently using a Canon 1d mark 3, and either a 500mm f4 prime lense or 300mm f2.8 and various teleconverters. Only today (14th Nov') 9 have been reported but was late this afternoon, it seems Waxwings are arriving everywhere but here, please send some of them 300 south please

      Delete
  2. I saw the "scrapes" yesterday Doug on my back from Boston, near Spalding I think?. They were right by the roadside on the A16.........How odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I was just in Pinchbeck..spooky lol. I'm glad you also thought they were scrapes, I was a bit bemused looking at them trying to think what else they could be. Also felt (thanks to big lorries drafting past) they were too close to the road for any real use, but the lapwings and gulls nearer to P'borough looked content..weird one

      Delete
  3. Some great images there Doug! Just love your header image too - it's a real cracker! You've made me realise that most of my own images are of sedentary birds - I need to rise to the challenge of birds in flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard Bedford warned me once that flight work was both frustrating,addictive and challenging...you'll learn a lot of new curse words lol On a serious note I was thinking I need more portraits.

      Delete