Saturday, 22 December 2012

A CURLEW AND SEASONS GREETINGS




Well typically it's chucking it down with rain yet again! The River Nene is almost breaching it's banks again, though in terms of actual flooding, compared to the rest of the UK we've got off lightly again. Even if it does ease, I can't think of many places that are going to be worth visiting. The levels of water in the ground is so bad, even standing in my garden topping up feeders it feels like I'm standing on a sponge. So I'm glad I didn't process my images from Norfolk straight away. I found the above three images of a Curlew (Numenius arquata), to be honest they're a little soft compared to the other Curlew images I got that day, but I thought they were a bit "quirky" and would share. I took these in the harbour of Brancaster Staithe, there was at least four visible Curlews wading around the muddy harbour and I could hear the unmistakable call of at least 2 more. A big old wader that seems to only have to walk towards another smaller wader for the smaller one to flee, but looking at the elongated bill, you would, if you're a clever wader! I don't how many times I've watched a TV programme or film to hear a Curlew calling on the "dubbed" soundtrack, it has to be the most used bird call if the film's scene is set on or near a beach, closey followed by Golden Plovers.
Anyway it's that time of year, so I wish all those who've read/commented on my blog a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Christmas day (weather permitting) I shall hit a few local birding spots, I don't really do the Christmas thing, and no it's not a bah-humbug thing and will not need visiting tonight by three ghosts lol, I love Xmas, everyone tucked up indoors feasting away on Turkey, meanwhile the roads are empty as are the nature reserves. I did once start an "annual Xmas" walk around Pitsford resevoir but only did it the once with a big heavy 600mm lens...never again I thought afterwards and anyone who's ever walked the whole way round Pitsford will tell you...it's a bigger walk then you think lol, in the past it would mean sitting at Maidwell doing Short Eared Owls but there's none up there so far this year. So hopefully Summer Leys will be void of anyone...I hope.

       MERRY XMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

6 comments:

  1. I love these Curlew shots Doug. Lovely call they make. I don't do the Crissy thing either; no point on your own, so I'll be round my local lake. Hopefully have it all to myself too. :-)
    Whatever you do, have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith, fingers crossed the rain will let up on Xmas day. You're right about the Curlew call, a haunting sound if there's such a thing, love them :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Doug. I've always enjoyed a good Curlew. I particularly like the middle image - would make a good design for a garden water feature!

    This year will be the first year for many years that my wife and I have not gone out for a picnic lunch on Christmas Day. We usually park up somewhere a bit 'birdy' and enjoy the surroundings. One year we went to Cannock Chase and found a Hawfinch. Made the mistake of reporting it on Birdguides, and couldn't get near the place for a couple of months afterwards. There were even punch-ups between 'locals' and birders who wouldn't let the locals near the place - even though it was a car park! I always think twice about reporting anything on Birdguides these days.

    Anyway, our daughter wants us over at her place for Christmas lunch this year, so we will have our picnic - come hell or high water! - on Boxing Day!

    Thanks for your encouragement in 2012. Have a great Christmas, and all the best for 2013.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm going to have to patent that design before Charlie Dimmock rips it off for one of her water features :) It's a sad thing when reported birds and the resulting mayhem creates friction, can't blame you, I decided to the same thing this year in regards to reporting birds.
      I hope you and your wife do get out Boxing day, Merry Xmas.

      Delete
  3. Nice Curlews Doug ... you can't beat water droplets of any kind to 'make' a pic and there's been no lack of droplets around this year! Boxing day is shaping up for a half decent day for photography .... sure you'll be out and about so good luck, have a good xmas and thanks for following my blog.

    Tim@Timbobaggins Abroad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim totally agree about water droplets in images. Hopefully if the weather plays ball I shall be out Boxing Day, good luck yourself on Boxing Day

      Delete