Sunday, 16 December 2012

CAN YOU DRINK AT 10 AM?

COMMON BUZZARD (BUTEO BUTEO), FINESHADES WOODS
Sounds like a comment from an alcoholic, "can you drink at 10am", but what a time to put a footie match on. That sucks, it isn't the same watching a match this early without some refreshments, a cuppa tea just doesn't work, though the bacon sarnies are lovely. Now I will apologise for the "non footie" fans out there, just skip past this section, however twice now (once in the semis from Mark Lawrenson) and now once in the final, the commentators have remarked on how Chelsea supporters attitudes will change towards Rafa Benitez if we win this (mickey mouse cup) final, well let me clarify something, as a long time/long suffering supporter and not a "jonny come lately". My attitude and that of the majority of Blues will not change towards Rafa, he can win us the League Cup, FA cup, World Club cup and the Premiership title and he will still be given abuse. Those not connected with the club do not remember what Rafa said about Chelsea supporters, what he said about Jose, what he said about Drogba and how he drew on the fact we "brought" the title and all of our success, forgetting the fact he brought players for Liverpool, just without the budget, so sorry Rafa, never will I compare you to any other Chelseas manager during "pub-talk" you're just a curious footnote in the club's history. Don't bother unpacking your bags mate, the season is short, BYE BYE RAFA
NUTHATCH (SITTA EUROPAEA),FINESHADES WOODS.
...right no more footie talk, just thought I would post a few back dated images from Norfolk, continuing the theme of "Birds in their enviroment", though I still prefer frame fillers after my short experiment. Also a couple more from Fineshades. I haven't been able to get out birding much this latter part of the week, a combination of poorly greyhound and a lack of enthusiam has seen me sorting out my feeders, I was getting annoyed by the Robin and Dunnock constant fighting, so established a seperate feeding area for both birds. In true UN style I created a buffer zone which seems to have brought peace to the Mcfarlane garden. Plenty of Long Tail tits,Goldfinches,Blue Tits, Great Tits and even the Goldcrest are visiting the garden, though I noticed with the meal worms, the Blue Tits, Wren and Goldcrest were taking them, but then dropping them on the ground and leaving them, weird! So I decided to soak the meal worms for about twenty minutes in warm water, placed them in the places I knew the Goldcrests, Wren and Blue Tits were feeding and watched. Surely enough, they ate them, it got me wondering if the very small birds prefer the meal worms "soggy", and are perhaps easier to digest. What do you reckon? Can't forget to mention the Starlings, about 45 at a time scoffing everything in sight, sadly despite the presence (sadly in the sky) of both a Great Spotted Woodpecker and Jay they haven't come down to the feeders. Though as the Jay flys back over the garden with BREAD! in it's mouth I'm struggling to think why?
Enjoy the rest of the weekend all.
MARSH HARRIER (CIRCUS AERUGINOSUS),CLEY MARSHES DEC'12

13 comments:

  1. Great Buzzard image Doug, and I like the Hen Harrier that looks as if it's trying to mimic a Kestrel!

    Interested in your experience with the mealworms. Will bear this in mind, althouh I'm currently using a mix which includes mealworms, so a bit hard to treat separately. The problem that I'm trying to find an answer to is that the birds cast too much of the seed onto the ground, where it doesn't get consumed, and rots into a smelly mess (or grows) if its not cleaned up on a frequent basis. I'm thinking of just buying specific ingredients and feeding each ingredient separately so that I can work out what is attractive and what is not. I'm currently getting through about 10Kg of food a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I seem to have the same problem, though luckily any spillage seems to get hoovered up by the ground feeders like the Blackbird,Dunnock,Robin and Wood Pigeons. The other trick I do is to suspend a small tray under the most visited feeders to catch any spillage. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one going through so much food, I thought it was due to the greedy Starlings, I've definately got more birds this winter.

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm, football; yea, ...... enjoyed the pictures Doug. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith I did my best to keep it short though

      Delete
  3. Great picture of the Marsh Harrier. I was in a penalty shoot out this weeked, so lots of football in my weekend too. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Findlay, lets hope in the final you don't have to face another penalty shoot out, well done, fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Buzzard and the M Harrier, doug. Great flight images, both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christian,wasn't sure about the Harrier image, I just like them super close.

      Delete
  6. Of course you can drink at 10am, especially if it's hair of the dog! Nice images Doug, again......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photo of the busard in flight!
    But I admire most is your banner! That pic is tops!
    Cheers Douglas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Noushka, I have to admit that the Short Eared Owl image is one my personal favourites :)

    ReplyDelete