Tuesday, 15 January 2013

MISSED CHANCES

COMMON GULL, PITSFORD RESEVOIR.
 Well since the new year my chances of getting out and doing some birding has been limited. A poorly Greyhound (no recovering) and just rubbish weather has halted any ideas of getting out to photograph birds. I had got out to go and have a look at the Bearded Tits down out at Ecton sewage farm. It was great to see these birds again wintering in Northants and is becoming quite regular though mostly at Stortons GP, sadly no decent images from the day, but next time it's bright I'm going back, if they're still there of course.
On Sunday I opted to spend the day down at Pitsford Resevoir, mostly in Holcot Bay and the first hide with the aim of some wildfowl flight shots, sadly the only birds that flew around were Gulls and the Cormorants, there was the odd Buzard and Corvid chance but the only wildlfowl was some Tufted Ducks, 2 female Goldeneyes, Gadwall and Widgeon all sadly just bobbing around on the water. Still I had perfect company in the hide, a Robin decided to keep popping in and out the hide (no doors on the hide) and kept going to the edge of the hides floor were it seemed it was building a roosting spot. I also got a Wren that whilst I was busy watching the Ronins antics popped up on to the window shelf of the hide as I popped my head up to see if I was missing anything it just stood there staring at me before flying off...nice. I did see the Great White Egret that was JUST visible in Walgrave Bay, there was plenty of woodland birds including 6 Goldcrests, 3 Bullfinches, 1 Treecreeper, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker,4 Coal Tits but sadly no Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, this bay and the bay with the bird ringing hut in it used to be really good for them, does anyone know if they still there? I regulary read Eleanor and Neils blog and they don't seem to be trapping them during ringing sessions so probably not.
BLACK HEADED GULL, PITSFORD RESEVOIR
 Hopefully if the weather brightens up I can get some decent images, still looking at the image below things could be worse?
A phrase every "petrol head" hates...MADE IN SOLIHULL

8 comments:

  1. Great capture in the first Doug.
    Pitsford is on my soon visit list.
    I imagine it's a bit muddy at the moment though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Keith, It wasn't too bad on Sunday but with all this snow it might be a bit more muddy, though the bottom of Holcot Bay were the stream enters the resevoir is still a bit muddy but passable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like lovely company, Doug - can't beat a robin being friendly. Hang on a minute - that's a Land Rover, isn't it? Didn't think they broke down! Lovely use of the fence in that image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Christian, the Robin was very entertaining and very distracting I enjoyed it's company though, as for the Land Rover, it was quite a "under the bonnet fire" luckily the family got out quick.

      Delete
  4. I know you sound a bit disappointed Doug, but those really are very nice images of gulls in flight! I envy the Common, but the light and reflection of the BH make it rather special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I'm not too disappointed, just gutted about the amount of time I've been able to get out with the camera kind of feels like withdrawl symptons :), I kind of like gulls, especially Herring and Common.

      Delete
  5. Love your Header,must be the best i've seen.
    John.

    ReplyDelete