Wednesday, 13 March 2013

GOLDCREST.

Well I'm going to keep it straight forward and very few words. I haven't done much birding, what with work etc. My shift pattern means my weekend starts Thursday. Which is a bonus as reserves are quieter. The only birding trips was this afternoon (late) when I managed a walk down a public byway with my greyhound.
Dodging a considerate 4x4 driver and a not so considerate motor-cross biker I found myself with my greyhound searching for some passerines amongst the hedgerows. I was hoping for some early Skylarks staking out breeding spots or perhaps a Yellowhammer or too. Sadly it seems when I ever I do a combination of dog/camera/birds, birds don't seem to stay around too long....wonder why? Bloomin' hound.
Got some Great Tits and wrens etc but not very sharp.
I did hear two Goldcrests and located them flitting around the hedgerow, actively chasing away Robins and Great Tits from a section of the hedgerow about 8 foot in length, very tenacious, given their size (8.5cm/9.5cm in length) it was odd seeing a Robin loosing out on territory to something smaller then itself...perhaps it was the constant high pitched call of the Goldcrest that scared the Robin off. I only managed a few images what with holding my greyhound, hand holding big bertha (500mm lens) and trying to keep the bird in frame and also trying to get a clean shot devoid of branches. The best I managed is below but being a hedgerow there is always a twig or too that compromises the image.
GOLDCREST (REGULUS REGULUS)

5 comments:

  1. Still a very good shot....I know how you feel. I like the company of the dogs though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, sadly despite my best efforts my dog always beats me to the door and refuses to move unless I take him lol

      Delete
  2. Anyone reading this looking at submitting a comment today 14/03/13 our street is offline until BT have removed the old style telegraph pole for new fangle dangle underground fibre optics. So the comment may not appear until after 3pm, sorry

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good shot of a little bird that don't keep still for a second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, these two were definately hyper-active

      Delete