Thursday, 21 March 2013

ODDS AND SODS pt2

Had to be "Odds and Sods part2", it always happens when I just go and blast away with the camera, loads of images, very often of species that don't excite or interest many.
For example Gulls, where do you sit with them? Like them? Find them boring or confusing? (they bleedin' confuse me) Or a noisy pest? Or seriously underated as a bird?

One thing for sure, REGARDLESS how you fell about them, they're seriously a great way of venting some of that built up anger/frustration/boredom of work, I mean take the Billing Aquadrome...please someone take it..lol.. ten minutes here will fill up a couple of 4 gigabyte of memory card space. I keep hearing or getting told that birds derive no nutrional value from bread, but it doesn't explain why shed loads of geese,swans, ducks and gulls here swarm and fight for the bread that is chucked out by the visitors to the carpark at the marina. It's quite funny "people watching"..car pulls in, car windows wound down (the really daring get out for a stroll around their car), bread chucked out, birds gather around the car, drive out, then another turns up and the process is repeated again and again etc. The Herring Gull posted here was drawn in by some asian bloke chucking TWELVE massive pita breads into the marina, I'm not exagerating they were about 10 inches in diameter ( I know that from my pizza consumption)...made me bleedin' hungry though didn't fancy tackling a Mute Swan for one however.


Bored of gull yet? Fair enough I guess they're a Marmite bird.
So a few more Bullfinches





8 comments:

  1. Some cracking herring gull photos! Personally, I like them and often stick up for them when people bad mouth them! Identification skills of them however, are rather few and far between!

    Bull finches are wonderful! So striking!

    Lou :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lou, I like gulls to, identifying them I hate though, they just don't make Anadin strong enough for the ensuing headache:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful shots........I like gulls but wish folk wouldn't feed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian. I 100% agree about the feeding of gulls/swans/ducks with bread, one downside at this spot is the geese etc have got familiar with the situation and gather at the entrance of the carpark or in the road ending up with a lot of birds either dead or broken wings....sad.

      Delete
  4. I certainly prefer gulls to most people; but they're a nightmare to ID.
    Cracking Bullfinch shots too; especially that last one.
    Was she sitting on your hand? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aye but generally people don't poop on your car windscreens well most don't lol but I know what you mean.
    No the Bullie was sitting on that nearest feeding table at the feeding station at Summerleys and I had 700mm (500mm and 1.4 teleconverter) to play with, very showy at the moment down there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great flight shots of the Herring gull Douglas. I'm slowly trying to get my head around Gull ID. but it's just a struggle at the moment, I envy those smart ar..s that have cracked it! Another great set of Bullie shots...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah I've seen people almost come to blows over the identification of gulls....another reason to love them even if like me you ain't always sure what it is:)

      Delete