Monday, 8 April 2013

BUZZARD,REDSHANK AND LAPWING

First up from Sunday and at Summer Leys a Lapwing, expect (hopefully) to see more of these as the spring eventually turns up, they're quite common around the reserve and the neighbouring fields...yet often overlooked.
LAPWING (VANELLUS VANELLUS), COMMON SIGHT ON THE SCRAPE AT SUMMER LEYS
The Great White Egret remains on the reserve, prompting speculation whether it'll stay all spring and summer..fingers crossed! Though on Sunday was very elusive hiding either next to the old railway line or Hawthorn Island.
GREAT WHITE EGRET, TAKEN ON 28TH OF MARCH
Redshanks, another common breeding wader on the reserve will hopefully sustain my appetite for waders until the Little Ring Plovers arrive, though there are some Snipe lurking on the scrape...too far away though for a decent image.
REDSHANK (TRINGA TOTANUS), HOPING FOR A LESS WET SUMMER THIS YEAR

REDSHANK (TRINGA TOTANUS), BREAD AND BUTTER FOR WADER STARVED PHOTOGRAPHERS
This afternoon/evening I spent some time searching,waiting and wandering around looking for a Barn Owl I mentioned in my last post, due to the ground I was going to cover I opted to walk from my house to the location so instead of carrying "bertha" (I thought walking through my estate with a 500mm prime lens might draw some unwanted attention) I bolted my x2 teleconverter to the 300mm (f2.8) prime lens for an outing. Whilst waiting in one field I suddenly regretted my choice the images aren't too brilliant distance and poor light an Achilles heel for the 300mm and x2 converter combo, but not too gutted as it was the closest I've been to a Buzzard (apart from Gigrin Farm of course), it took one look at me and flew off to the far side of the field. Having searched one area (two left) I struck out and found no Barnie...not going to give up though.
On the way home I saw on my local park three Pimperstrel Bats, the first I seen this year, I was very surprised they had awoken from hibernation given the cold nights but was a pleasant 15 minutes spent watching them.
COMMON BUZZARD (BUTEO BUTEO), HAVING CHOSEN IT'S POST

Add caption

COMMON BUZZARD (BUTEO BUTEO) COMING IN TO LAND

11 comments:

  1. Excellent set as always Doug.
    I hope the GWE stays until I get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith, hope you get back safe, I was shocked reading your blog posts from Wales. I've got my fingers crossed the GWE stays put, it seems quite content with the area, fingers crossed:)

      Delete
  2. Cracking images of the in flight Redshank Douglas and also of the Lapwing, a really photogenic bird!

    Shame you had the 'wrong set up' for the Buzzard, mind you, I would be as chuffed as little mint balls if I could achieve images as good as those!!

    I notice that there have been quite a number of reports of flying bats over the last few days, perhaps the weather is getting warmer!!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor, our little park (Eastfield) is great for bats, we used to get them nesting in our attics so I was quite chuffed seeing them yesterday and during the summer they draw quite a crowd watching them too.

      Delete
  3. Get in there! Love the Buzzard landing images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Christian, just wish I had ol'faithful/bertha my 500mm with me...never happy me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Doug. Sorry not to have commented before now - been out of action due to other commitments.

    Great images - every one!! The Buzzard set is a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice GWE images mate but the Redshank images take it for me, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Doug. Not sure what's going on but I've started to find that my comments aren't appearing on people's blogs - not all of them, just some of them. I put a comment on this post soon after you'd posted, and I now see that it hasn't appeared!

    Can't remember what I wrote, but an absolutely cracking set of images, any one of which I'd have been proud to have taken. Can't choose a favourite as they're all superb, but maybe the last Buzzard, and the first Redshank have the edge for me.

    Hope all is well with you - you've been a bit quiet for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Linda,Richard and Paul for publishing these comments late had a few internet/greyhound issues.

    ReplyDelete