Thursday, 25 April 2013

BUZZARDS,CHIFF-CHAFFS AND GREEN WOODPECKERS

Well with no "net" and a massive loathing of TV output of late has left me with plenty of spare time in the evening to "do things" and not one of them connected to house hold chores...huh huh!
Firstly I've been photographing and keeping my eyes peeled for this Barn Owl, sadly no signs of the actual bird but it did turn up a regular Buzzard and couple of new Little Owl sites, sadly despite my best fieldcraft I can't get near the LO's, the Buzzard on the other hand I keep stumbling across it on various posts and often in low flight and in the image below taking off from the ground after a bit of worm hunting...a pretty tolerant Buzzard.
I've managed a few "buzzard on post" shots but not really happy with them, so won't post them until I've managed some half decent shots, fingers crossed it will not be long as I keep finding it on one of three posts so it just a matter of timing/luck and distance from the bird itself...so one with a darkening sky but quite low in flight...
The other thing I've been doing is exploring my local park of Eastfield Park, I love it over there, a couple of "special" birds and plenty of common stuff and we're still waiting for the Reed Warblers to turn up. But two species that are very numerous at the moment are Chiff-Chaffs and the odd Willow Warbler, I even managed a Chiff-Chaff in the garden doing what a lot of birds visiting my garden are doing and collecting my dogs hair for nesting material. My Australian Shepherds coat is water-proof and very thick (warm) so perfect nesting material and they've moulted their winter coats so there's plenty to go round. I've had Magpies,Crows,Long Tail Tits,Blue Tits,Goldfinch,Great Tit,Chaffinch,Blackbird,Dunnocks and Chiff-Chaff coming down and picking up the dog hair....I think the two images are Chiff-Chaffs and not Willow Warbler....I won't mention the male Common Redstart that was on my front garden but I was returning home from newsagent without camera and flushed it on my neighbours roof, grabbed my camera and it flew off towards Moulton village...gutted! but goes on my garden list regardless!

Like I said there's plenty of common species on Eastfield Park and one the most common is the Green Woodpecker, all taken whilst sat lazily on the park bench as it went about ant hunting....


The above three images (and the one on the previous post) are my personal favourites and below two I'm not so keen on but show the bird hunting...just wish on one the images the tongue is slightly more visible...hate the crop to be fair too....

The last of the Green Woodpecker I couldn't do much compositionally with and I would rather had both eyes visible, but me being stupid I never knew the Green Woodpecker's bill was triangular so oddly I like the image, the bill kind of reminds me of a Rook's bill.

12 comments:

  1. Long time no post!! Made up for it though! Superb images Douglas- really like those Green Woodpecker shots- fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly a pesky hound and it's fondness to a "whirring" router meant no net...loads to catch up on by the looks of things....

      Delete
  2. These are very interesting and grand shots to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sat on the park bench! Great shots - I've never even seen one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's this one bench were they just don't seem to mind as long as you don't move...it's brilliant!

      Delete
  4. Another excellent set of images Douglas. Brilliant shots of the Green Woodpecker, and all taken from the comfort of a park bench...you can't get better than that!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bench is not that comfy lol. Thanks

      Delete
  5. Hey Doug - I think I need to come and sit on your park bench with you!

    Great shots, but those GW images are fabulous - I'm very envious!

    Great to see you back on line. Told my wife of your problem and she reckons your dog had the right idea! Do you think she's trying to drop me a hint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, I think your wife might have a point to be honest it was somewhat "refreshing" not having the net, it made me think.

      Delete
  6. An excellent set Doug; especially those Green Woodpecker shots.
    I'll have to visit that park bench! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I do like my park though there are other benches lol

      Delete