Wednesday, 3 April 2013

SUMMERLEYS 2nd&3rd APRIL

GREAT WHITE EGRET, this one taken on the 28th May, but three remain on the reserve.
I decided to "collate" images from the last two days for one post. The Great White Egrets are still on the reserve and this morning saw all three on Hawthorn Island, that's the big island on the right handside of the Paul Britain Hide (two-tier) but are the front facing Rotary and Round Islands, so are best viewed from the main hide.
I have to say most who read my APRIL FOOLS tweet weren't fooled...always next year.
There's quite a few, eight Bullfinches at any one time at the feeding station and more on the footpath leading from the screen hide down to the feeding station.

Also on the footpath near the entrance was a showy Robin and a very tame female Blackbird.

Flight shot wise things are still a bit distant, there's a Curlew and two Oystercatchers on the flood plain area and two distant Snipe on the scrape, water levels are still very high and in places reminds me on the Nene Washes. The first is a Canda Goose flight/fight shot-distant, and the second a gull who I think is a Herring Gull but think I'm wrong...let me know?

My other favourites despite them being backlit was the Goldcrest taken along the footpath between the Screen Hide and feeding station, despite the sun it's been very windy and this footpath with tall tree cover on both sides provided brilliant shelter from the wind, making it feel very pleasant and there was plenty of Goldfinches,Tits etc feeding out of the wind too.


10 comments:

  1. Super series of images Douglas, I really like the clarity of the Herring Gull(?) shot. The Bullfinches always make for stunning images. Looks like there's lots to see, and photograph, down that sheltered pathway?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, not sure what the gull is, though I was thinking Herring, I should learn really lol, The sheltered pathway has lot of goodies including Redwing, still!

      Delete
  2. Great set of images Doug. My favourite, although of relatively mundane birds, is the Canadas. Never been to Summerleys, but must put that right sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait for the spring migration kicks in, that's when Summerleys is at it's best. I do like geese when doing something silly, like these two chasing each other...was hoping for that rear one getting closer to the one in front:)

      Delete
  3. A magnificent set. It is a good place. You have done it proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Adrian, I do have a soft spot for the ol' pit

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are such brilliant pictures. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never thought I would say it about geese, but the shot of them coming into land mate is a fantastic image.......top shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You thought you would never say it and I thought I would never point my camera at them either lol. Thanks Paul

      Delete