Tuesday, 30 April 2013

WELFORD RESERVOIR 29TH APRIL 2013

I had to take my greyhound Jim with me today, he's being a real pain in the butt. First it was the internet router BUT it was just the start, he's figured out how to open doors including the fridge and freezer, came home and found frozen food everywhere, some of it eaten some half eaten. A tub of margarine, tomatoes you name it....the swine. He got into my bedroom and climbed up on the bed (heavy sleeper I didn't notice) and laid on my legs and me being in the land of nod didn't know my legs from his weight were also asleep, so I swivel out bed, plant my legs on the ground and because my legs are numb, they're unable to support my weight...the best belly flop ever, anyone feel the tremors?
Problem with taking a dog with you, the birding is limited, I don't like to take him to nature reserves..he ain't natural lol, every time I take him for a walk in rural areas I seem to get accused of Hare coursing, so a reservoir....don't like Sywell, Pitsford....too many joggers and cyclist..too tempting with the hound in a "chewy" mood so went to Welford.
I stumbled across two Little Ringed Plovers and two Yellowwagtails, no chance getting near them so a very poor record shot of both.

The day was weird, weather wise. One minute very sunny then cloudy and back again, sadly one bird that did come close despite the dog was the Housemartins collecting the mud from the shoreline for nest building, sadly it was cloudy at the time...plenty of chances later in the month (fingers crossed)
A pair of Blue Tits both sporting a different look was also quite approachable, especially since the dog was taking a nap whilst tied to a tree...revenge!!!

And the final bird is this Wren and despite the dog was very active and showing very nicely giving me some time to get a clear shot of it despite the thick undergrowth. There was two other Wrens that flew underneath the perched Wren and judging by the sound (couldn't see them) were fighting, my favourite is the first one, though the last one makes me laugh as it was checking out the sound below it. Saw a Redkite just on the edge of Moulton Park Industrial estate on the way home, right near the Chrysler garage too, bonus bird.




8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Douglas but this gave me a chuckle over breakfast. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has trouble with dog training.

    You got a good selection of photographs despite having a canine assistant in tow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adrian, he makes me laugh too...sometimes, I wouldn't mind but he's four and my pup who's 7 months is brilliantly behaved should be the other way round.

      Delete
    2. I have always suspected that well behaved dogs are a bit thick. I threaten mine with red hot, rusty barbed wire. They take no notice.

      Delete
    3. I was mine were thick Adrian, might have a full fridge.

      Delete
  2. Lovely set Doug, especially like that first Wren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim sounds a bit like a delinquent teenager! Raiding the fridge is a natural instinct. Some really great images here Doug. It's years since I last saw an LRP. The Blue Tits, especially the punk second one, made me chuckle, and the Wren is just sweet - I do like a good Wren. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, Jim isn't too bad it's just a "phase" he's going through I've owned quite a few before and have seen this behaviour quite a bit, he'll stop...I hope.
      LRP's are a bit sore subject for me we have them breeding at Summerleys and few other spots (I'm sure they breed at Rutland too) by now at Sleys they've paired up and defending nest sites...sadly haven't seen one at Summerleys.

      Delete