Saturday, 4 May 2013

A COUPLE FROM THE PARK

Yesterday evening whilst I took Jim, my greyhound, out for a walk on Eastfield Park I got to witness an amazing site, as usual I didn't have my camera with me. Truth be known I'm not too bothered as the light had gone (I was hoping to see some bats), as I sat waiting all the roosting Wood Pigeons scattered from their roost spot and a Wren let out a blast of it's warning call, gliding in silently onto a very high perch a female Sparrowhawk landed, almost immediately a male glided in behind, landed straight on her and mated, all over in seconds, but was interesting was how afterwards the male and female stayed together on the branch for a few minutes, the male then chased off a Wood Pigeon, brilliant sight.
Today I took my camera with me and the dog down to the park, first call was the reedbed on the edge of the lake, plenty of Reed warblers have moved onto the reedbed, I would say judging from the various locations of the calls there was eight in there. Sadly they aren't showing at the top's of the reedbed at the moment, obviously laying claim to territory, as the summer goes on hopefully they'll show at bit more. The dawn chorus on the park is amazing, with plenty of birds calling, mostly common species like Tits and Finches (just in very good numbers), the Song Thrush is one of my favourite, yet sadly very timid so I'm struggling to get a decent image. There was Willow Warblers and Chiff-Chaff's representing warblers (no Common Whitethroats at the moment though), when I heard a call, I knew what it was, I've heard it a lot, I just couldn't think what species it was, this always happens to me in Spring, I always either forget what a particular species looks like or sounds like, so I followed the call until I found it....wished I hadn't bothered! Now I normally castigate people for saying particular species are "dull" or "common", but I'm a hypocrite I have a few species were I will just shrug and photograph something else, not sure why, just the way it is....and sadly if I got the identification right this species is one of them.....the Garden Warbler, in my defence even the scientific name sums it up SYLVIA BORIN(G).

Furthermore read the description in field guide book "unremarkable","plain" and "indistinct" appears, so perhaps I shouldn't feel too bad, the warbler got it's own back by never really giving me a clean/clear shot.
I then got drenched in a really freak shower, look at the sky behind the bird, behind me was one big black sky and the rain fell, REALLY HEAVY, I'm not joking within about 10 seconds my fleece/jumper and shirt were soaking, the rain bouncing off my head were stinging about 10 seconds later it stopped just as suddenly as it stared...like someone turning a tap off, my dog looked like a drowned rat and soon steam was coming off him as the sun came out and dried us, I took a few images of a Goldfinch feeding and decided to come home and dry the dog and change my clothing.

8 comments:

  1. You underplay your hand. These are far from boring. Even the Chaffinch is not boring there ae just millions of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I shouldn't call any bird boring, but the bird always has the last laugh.

      Delete
  2. I like Garden Warblers.

    Good shots of him too.
    And look at that eye. A remarkable inky black. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows by the end of the summer I may come and appreciate the Garden Warbler a bit more:)

      Delete
  3. Hey Doug. I wouldn't mind taking such great shots of Garden Warbler - flippin' marvelous! Love the Goldfinch 'action shot' too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super images Douglas, the only thing borin(g) here is the name! Well worth getting drenched for!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO! It appears I'm the only one who thinks Garden Warb's are dull birds lol I think that's why nature dumped on me...karma:)

      Delete