Tuesday, 28 May 2013

A FEW FROM THE PARK

I think I might have mentioned this before, but I do like my local park (Eastfield park). I don't have to walk far to get to it, sure sometimes (like now) mostly during half term/term when the kids are out of school, you have to exercise a sensible level of precaution if you're carrying a camera. You get the odd remark "wow how far can you see with that", "what you're photographing" etc. Quite harmless, and some even show an interest or tell me what they get in the garden.
I was at the lake trying to get some reed warblers (failed) when I heard in excited tones "He'll know what it is?" and I suddenly had six kids around me, "what" from a grumpy me, "there's this bird, it's hovering and diving in the water round there", so off we went, the warblers gone by now, it's a Common Tern I explained, "why's it diving in the water", so I explained, the tern flies by and skims the surface of the water, "why's it doing that", a bit harder that one I thought, I gave them three reasons a)having a drink b)catching insects off the surface or because it just had a fish meal c)washing any oil from the fish off it's bill after about ten minutes they buggered off and I was left in relative peace until some man walked over "are you alright, I thought they were going to steal your camera", I explained it would take an army and I'm fine thanks....who do think I was more annoyed about the excited kids who ruined my chance of getting a reed warbler image (of which I have plenty of anyway) but were genuinely interested in some wildlife (for a change) or paranoid man?
GREY HERON, EYEING UP THE JUVENILE GEESE AND DUCKS
 There wasn't much around the sun had everyone on the park doing a variety of things enjoying the park. So I did I quick check on the nest boxes and from the sounds and look of things everything is moving along nicely. The odd thing about the nest boxes (and there are a few around) is no-one seems to know who's put them up, they've been sited in very good areas etc so it can't have been the council (lol) and it wasn't me, perhaps it was the Northants Wildlife Trust.
GREAT TIT, DOING A BIT OF HOUSEKEEPING 
I had a quick check on the Sparrowhawk on the way back home, doing ok, we think, can't really see what's happening in the nest, we can just about see the female as the nest keeps getting bigger and bigger (in height). I also had a quick look for the escaped parakeets but no sign of them unfortunately, did get a very high up Red Kite circling before heading in the general direction of Moulton village, I only had my small lense so did bother snapping any images, but from the viewfinder I could see it looked a bit tatty (moult) so obviously a nesting bird.

12 comments:

  1. Douglas,great shots of the Tern and Heron, shame about the Warblers!

    I'm always worried when I'm out and about with my camera gear, everyone I see looks very suspicious, I tend to stay away from the local parks!

    It's good that someone has taken the time to put up those nest boxes, whoever they are?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too keep an eye for "dodgy" looking types, Eastfield housing estate does have a dodgy reputation. I think if your worried about a local park just go and sit in it with no camera etc and see who is using the park and get a feel for it, for exapmle on my park I won't go anywhere near the "all weather" five-aside pitches as that's where the trouble makers "hang out£

      Delete
  2. Three good shots there Doug.

    A shame we have to keep half an eye looking for morons in some places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, yeah it's shame about one eye on morons, luckily I have a face that scares most people from even approaching, I can even empty a hide in seconds lol

      Delete
  3. The Tern is a beautiful shot....better than a Warbler. The heron looks very majestic. I bet the ducklings don't think so.
    It's the beauty of Bertha. No-one could run with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian, it's true about "bertha" I feel more confident walking with my bertha as I'm aware it's too big for people to run with

      Delete
  4. On a couple of occasions my lens has attracted the wrong type of attention too Doug, and it is half the size of yours, not a nice experience! But that was nothing compared to when I was in this particular hide one day with my mate and this bloke walked in.........he was scarey, we were out of there in seconds!!!!;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, it was probably me (the scarey bloke lol) sorry:) Mr.Bedford had one one when some lads in car pulled up and it was a matter of chance some bloke in car was passing by for him to jump into otherwise I think he could have lost his lens that day

      Delete
  5. I think it is great that the kids were asking you about wildlife!! They are going to be the next generation of birders maybe!! If you've planted a seed of interest then that is great!! Lovely shot of the tern too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too think it's great when kids show interest in nature and i feel it's up to us "older" ones to be patient and explain things to them. On this park there is a couple of schools near the park and I know they take the children over to the dipping ponds etc so even the schools are trying to encourage kids to view nature.

      Delete
  6. Lovely images Doug- that Common Tern is superb!!
    I am also a little bit antisocial when it comes to photography and people who are near your subject. It is extremely annoying when they scare a bird away, particularly if you have spent a long time sitting there. However, I guess we all have a responsibility to promote wildlife to the general public. Tricky one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Ben it's very tricky, most times I don't mind when or if the person is showing an interest in what you're trying to photograph I have plenty of time for people like that. One's that really annoy me are the types who just walk in front of your lens or barge past talking loudly they really agravates me

      Delete