Monday, 20 May 2013

KESTREL, HOBBY AND TERNS

Well Saturday (all day) and Sunday (just the morning) I re-visited the "reedbed", remember this site is "maligned" as a site where no decent images can be obtain...well I'm no David Tippling but I seemed to be able get images from the site. Something also worth noting about this site is that it sits at the back of a farm (part of his land) and is part of the even more maligned ELS scheme, you only have to read some conservationist blogs out there to see the criticism the ELS schemes get, sure some have abused the scheme,sure some of only done half-heartily etc but when you get a farmer who does do it for the right reasons it works, it really does. Plenty of warblers around the site, there is two Cuckoo's present (male and female) sadly I could get near them...didn't really try to be honest and a lot of Sedge Warblers have finally turned up too...I did try for them but failed for a "clean" image.
So the three favourite shots from the site after the weekend are........
HOVERING COMMON TERN

A SLOW START FOR ME FOR MY ULTIMATE FALCON...THE HOBBY

KESTREL, FEMALE
The hobby was coming in for a drink but was to far away for portrait, afterwards it carried on chasing Swifts, too high up. The Kestrel I'm ashamed to say my fieldcraft let me down, I crept along a hedgerow popping my lens around a tree to get the image, I then noticed the well hidden nest box, she was on sentry duty, so with only three images I crept away a deftly as I could...I don't like photographing any bird at the nest site so was somewhat embarrassed I didn't see the nest box, felt well guilty afterwards, the male returned with worms in it's bill, so hopefully no harm.
Finally a Robin, couldn't resist it in full song, got that at Eastfield Park.

10 comments:

  1. The pictures speak for you. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all quality images mate and I would have been chuffed to bits if any of them were mine, especially the Hobby in flight image which is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, the hobby is my first for the year it's been a bit slow for them round here so far.

      Delete
  3. Great set Doug. Yea, that Hobby is a great catch.

    I've a similar thing with my local patch; Bucks birders reckon it ain't worth bothering with.
    I like birding in peace. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith, yeah some people are silly billies, more fun for the rest of us I suppose:)

      Delete
  4. Excellent images from a 'rubbish site' Douglas. It's good that the farmer is using the stewardship money in the way that it's meant to be used. And how can anyone ever resist the photogenic charms of a Robin?..great shot...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor, I can't understand peoples resistance to this site, the only person I see now and again is the farmer and his wife who walk around the site. Silly really.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful images Doug. Nowt wrong with that location! The Hobby image, though, is one that I'd kill for!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, fingers crossed I can some more as the dragonflies etc start to emerge.

      Delete