Friday, 3 May 2013

KNIGHTS OF OLD...

I was shocked yesterday when I got a chance to sit down and watch the local news to hear one of my old bosses and his wife were found dead at their house in Loddington.
When I left school with very few qualifications and about 20 people applying for one job finding a employee willing to give a young tearaway (and the term tearaway is being polite) like me a fair crack of the whip was near impossible, sure I could drive but other "misdemeanours" in my personal life scuppered any plans I had to work rather then end up in and out of jail, I hate to say this (for fear of being judge by others) but I was well on my way down the slippery slope to a life of crime etc. But one firm, Knights of Old, gave me a break, a chance to leave my "losers" friends and life well behind me, no-one gave me a chance to prove myself up to that point. I was only covering (via an employment agency) for a another driver on long term sick and was eventually replaced by the worker when he got fit healthy. It's no exaggeration to say that one job turned the direction of my life around, that one chance to prove myself worthy etc came from Donald and I'm forever grateful because I came close to chucking it in and saying "fuck it" and joining my friends on the route they had chosen for their lives, instead I got a break and have worked many various "driving" jobs since and even laugh to myself when I think how I was and how I am now, sure 99% of those choices came directly by me and those close to me, but it was that ONE chance I believe gave my a chance to change, THANK YOU.
I didn't speak to much to Donald to be fair, but the chances I had to chat to him, he seemed and came across as a very fair bloke only when you did something wrong did he ever moan at you, but what boss wouldn't? He never seemed to "phased" about my past and actually said "just don't mess it up, you'll be ok".
Sadly it seems like his and his wifes' death appears to be a "suicide-murder", which is even more shocking and my thoughts really go out to his family.
I personally will remember Donald for giving be that first chance on the employment ladder and a chance to turn the direction ofmy life around, when no-one else would even though it was only a "temp" job the references I got from the firm got me other jobs. I really hate using the phrase RIP so instead will just say,
THANK YOU.

4 comments:

  1. This is the best legacy they could have wished for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Adrian, just wish there were a few more Donalds out there, sadly there are not many

      Delete
  2. Whatever the reasons for the sad and tragic circumstances that have befallen this man and his family are, you know that, he was willing to believe in you and gave you a chance when your life could have easily taken a very different path. I suspect there's a lot behind the end of this story that we'll never know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I hope the media leave them alone and we never know the whole story too, thanks.

      Delete