Friday, 10 May 2013

MY LOCAL SPARROWHAWK, GOOD/BAD NEWS

Well since my last my post I left my camera at home and kept a vigil on the sparrowhawks nest. Bad news- it's abandoned the nest, of sorts, this will become more clear by the end of the post, Good news, it's building a new one, and having checked on it today making very quick progress, the male is showing a lot both over the estate, visiting two bird feeders (a few garden birders here, who have shown me video-grabs...cool) plus I've seen it chasing starlings four separate occasions, the female sparrowhawk is staying in the nest only getting out of it the add a twig to the nest.
It's still quite close to the original nest but with big slice of luck, very close to a good friend of mine (fellow Chelsea supporter and drinking buddy Paul O'Neill), very close, his garden backs onto the park, and in the top corner of his garden is and old tree right next to that but in the park is another tree, it's nesting in there, I won't go into too much detail but that tree is 100% inaccessible, Paul let me know this afternoon/lunch-time and I was straight round, set up the scope in his conservatory and confirmed it, brilliant. Paul also pointed out the bird feathers on his lawn and told me the bird sits on the fence and lawn, Paul is a good friend, so I know the bird is safe...God helps anyone he wanders into his garden if Paul don't get them his Rottweiler will, it even hates me!
I think the female might already be sitting on eggs as she hardly moves whilst she is on the nest and in the brief two hours I was at Paul's came out for 5 minutes of nest building duty, the male only came back once in the two hours with an unidentified bird for the female.
Paul isn't a birder but knows all of the birds from his garden and reckons he's going to keep a list of species (we'll see mate lol) so have left the scope so he and his daughter can watch. To say I'm relieved is an understatement, I checked on the old nest on the way back and some woodpigeons have taken over the nest, so I'm not sure whether it was the Wood Pigeons, Nail Man/woman or me or even perhaps a combination of the three that made the sparrowhawks abandon the nest, but I'm glad this has the potential of not ending in "tears". I am shocked at how quickly the sparrowhawk has built up it's nest, perhaps it's another birds nest that it has taken over but according to Paul the male sprawk has been around the gardens for a week..weird.

8 comments:

  1. Let's hope we see some chicks soon. A happy story to start the weekend on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good news Douglas, the Sparrowhawks obviously knew that they weren't safe at the previous site. And with your friend volunteering to sit up(!!) and keep watch over them let's hope for a good result!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor to be fair Paul will more likely be slouching lol, but he works from home (bonus) plus his dog kips in a kennel at night and is "properly" trained (Paul runs a security firm), aprt from genreal kids playing in gardens I can't see much disturbance.
      Deep down and I hate associating human behaviour with animals but I really do think the female "knew" something wasn't right.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to hearing an even happier ending to this story Doug. Fingers crossed for a successful breeding from this pair. They deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Richard, Paul and I have a bet to see how many it has, he went for 3, I went for four.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good outcome Doug.
    Let's hope they can get on with their lives now, without any interference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They won't get any interference, the nest site can't be accessed from the park nor from Paul's house. It'll only be kids playing on gardens etc, however from what I've seen this evening the male is very bold.

      Delete