Sunday, 26 May 2013

YET MORE SPARROWHAWK

As I typed out my last blog post on Friday I had a slight tickly cough and a scratchy feeling in my throat. Didn't think much about it, but a couple of hours later I could hardly breathe through my mouth, the tickly cough had turn into a non-stop hacking and my throat was killing me (remember all in two hours) a runny nose then started. I kept thinking "what the hell" I was alright a minute ago. I started to get hot, then cold, then hot again, this wasn't "man-flu", this was flu, it has been knocking around the workplace and other workplaces for a while and until Friday I had avoided the bugger. The other half was going to ring the doctor, but I told her not to bother, a)it was out of hours ie shit service b)I had all the medication lurking around the house.  I got several layers on, wrapped myself in my duvet, not much sleep I was soon awake early Saturday morning, my legs were aching, my shoulders were aching but the cough had weaken, I still had a temperature so common sense prevailed (the other half hid my camera lol) and I stayed in, sniffling away and very bored.
Sunday I felt much better all the symptoms had gone within a 48 hour period, I did remember my buddy Ben the Plumber say "you'll get the trots mate", for my American readers that's cockney for diarrhoea......oh yeah, so Sunday was mostly spent very close to the toilet, the other oddity whilst it was sunny and warm outside on Saturday and Sunday, I was freezing, my body temperatures gone back to normal and by midday Sunday I wasn't dashing off to the toilet.
Flaming typical I spent the winter in snow covered fields, icy winds blasting on top of cliffs, frost covered nature reserves and general freezing temperatures in my lorry on nights out...did I get a flu then, did I heck, I had to wait for the first decent weather of the summer I guess that is truly sods law.
So my bank holiday was a complete waste, I think looking at my shift patterns that is/was my only bank holiday this year.
Whilst sitting in the garden trying to get warm and wrestling my beef sarnie from Jim, my hound, I got the local male sparrowhawk flying over the house. Came over very low and grabbed a few images. I had no strength and was struggling to hand hold my "mini-Bertha" (300mm/f2.8&1.4tc) I was truly a pathetic drip. Other birds noted from the garden were a Buzzard (not bad for an urban enviroment), Housemartin,2 Swifts,House Sparrow,Starlings (which came to the feeder as I sat inches away) and then I heard a call and I thought "what the f**k", I've heard it before but couldn't place it, whatever it was there was two of them calling, I had to go and track it down. So permission slip signed (I had to leave the camera behind and take Jim) off I went. I got to Keswick Close, when I found myself imitating the call, then it struck me, what an idiot, I remember this bird from last year, I thought because I hadn't seen it all winter that it had been predated,died from the cold or got re-caught....it was two lovely red Crimson Rosella Parakeets, obviously escapees, were they the same ones from last year (the ones from last year were grey though), you'll also have to take my word no medication was involved (honest-lol) in fact they had settled on one persons roof and were drawing quite a crowd (how I knew were the birds where) all with camera phones out etc, hopefully they'll be around for a bit longer and I can get some images of their id tags on their feet and see if they are the same birds from last year.
On a jovial note my sister was in Bath and took this image of some owls, she only did it because there was a sign saying "copyright protected, no photographs"...ooops!


6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're on the mend. I'm sitting in the wilds and seeing nothing and you have birds from treetop to cloud. Wonderful Sparrow Hawk.

    You'll have to pop a sign in your sisters garden Saying NO PHOTOGRAPHY. These owls are the best I've seen to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm going to hunt down those Parakeets today, as for the owls:)

      Delete
  2. That really is sods law Douglas, to be laid up and unable to go out on such a gloriously fine, sunny, blue sky and pleasantly warm long weekend where, I'm sure, the birds would have been making the most of the fine weather to fly slowly by and then take time to sit on the best branches and pose perfectly for any photographer that was out and about and ready to take their photographs. And all the time you're stuck at home feeling...er!...sorry!...What I meant to say is, I hope you're soon feeling better at least, while you were feeling shitty, ...er!...sorry again!... you managed to get in a spot of garden birding, with a super shot of the Sparrowhawk!

    Your sister seems to have it sorted though...Owl photography and shopping!...can't be bad?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor that was nearly as sympathetic as my missus has been this weekend:)Made me laugh though.
      I found it odd that an artist would display their work in a gallery then ask people not to photograph it, you'd think they would take it as compliment

      Delete
  3. Great shot of the Sparrowhawk Doug.
    Hope you're feeling better, and able to enjoy some of this sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, did get out for a bit this evening, that flu thing is very odd it only lasts about 24 hours

      Delete