Monday, 17 June 2013

ANOTHER VISIT TO THE REEDBED.

Well I finished work at 12am on Saturday, got home and teased the other half how I was right, she was wrong and I fancied roast beef with roast potatoes and the full trimmings, I was feeling quite smug with myself...that wasn't too last.
I got my camera gear ready for an early start (was supposed to meet up with Tom Hedge on Sunday at Summerleys) and realised I had an issue with the camera. I attached my 500mm and 1.4 teleconverter and realised on the display where it should have read an aperture of f/5.6 it said 0.0, oh no! I knew this meant something was wrong with the sensors either on the lens or converter or worse both! I took the 500mm off and it soon became apparent it was the teleconverter, two very small screws dropped to the floor, now I couldn't blame the dog or the missus as it's all stored away etc, my last teleconverter has failed, I received today an "exploded" diagram of a teleconverter, so pulled it apart today and reassembled it, it appears to be fixed BUT any lens attached feels very loose and I don't feel very confident with it...time will tell I suppose. But things got weirder I hit the bed at 12.30 and was just nodding off when "beep,beep,beep" my car alarm was going off, so without leaving the room I disabled the alarm then re-armed it...at 01.44'ish it goes off, sure it was windy but my alarm isn't that sensitive (here's a tip: if you have an overly sensitive car alarm, close the air vents, and point the vents downwards as on a windy day the wind will come through and the vibration from the wind will set it off) so I go out and check the car...nothing, got back under the duvet and re-awoke at 05:30 got my camera gear and went out to the car....driver side front and rear tyres slashed...f**k.
I've got a pretty good idea who done it but can't prove it, so I left the credit card with the missus (never a good idea) and told her to call a mobile tyre firm later on in the day...I was grumpy and tired and to be honest in no mood to talk to anyone as when I'm in that frame of mind I can be a right TWAT and opted to blow some steam off and chill out and the "REEDBED", no people just me or so I thought, just as I was finishing "chilling" out I heard some faint voices I turned around and saw two birders it was only as they walked onto the boardwalk was I relieved to see it was David James and his mate....I like David, very knowledgeable, friendly and funny, he was doing his birding survey (glad someone is surveying this spot as I don't have the skill,knowledge or patience) and we got chatting I had to let him know how jealous I was of his Red Footed Falcon image, a bird I've only seen once and REALLY wish to photograph again, I got more jealous as he told me how close it came and how it was feeding, I actually did put my fingers in my ears I was that jealous lol. I won't mention his Penduline Tit video and images but check out his blog it's listed on the left handside of my blog after a lengthy chat he went off to finish his survey and apart from a group of ramblers and a bloke walking his Irish Wolfhound (I like them) I didn't see a single person after that. I did confirm one thing with David, it definitely looks like some Swifts are already on the move (see previous REEDBED post) as he noted a similar thing at Clifford Hill Gravel Pit.

Image wise I didn't get a lot from this visit from the reedbed, no cuckoo,no hobbies, saw plenty though these included Sedge Warblers,Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroats,Cettis Warbler,Garden Warbler,Chiff-Chaff,Song Thrush and Mistle Thrush and a female Sparrowhawk also a Buzzard plus a calling Water Rail from the Reedbed.
The only decent (half decent anyway) images I got from the day was the various Reedwarbler images posted here, there seemed to be alot of shooting going on, for what I hope was only Woodpigeons. Also whilst on the boardwalk the reed stems started to twitch, something was moving down there, all the Reedwarblers instantly went quiet and there was no movement from the birds, there was quite a bit splashing around in the water, what was it? I'm not sure to be honest, I can rule out a fox, the water is not only quite deep, but it's also in places has quick sand under it, was it a stoat/weasel possible, I have though a feeling it could have been an otter, after some looking around I found some Otter spraint, is that spelt right?...Otter pooh anyway!
I then headed for SummerLeys I got to the carpark and there was nowhere to park the van, the place was packed and loads of dog walkers and day trippers, people were even parking on the grass banks! Sod this (sorry Tom) and headed off home for my Sunday dinner of which my missus is very grateful to the readers of this blog....as am I, yummy it was lol, though thanks to two slashed tyres I'm £200 lighter in the wallet, lets hope the Pirrelli's last longer then their F1 tyres cousins!

8 comments:

  1. Some super images again mate, especially the last one. This Thursday Aldi have a special offer of a wildlife cam for £70.00, get one and set it up and you will soon have 100% confirmation of who the bastards are who doing your tyres. Then you can use it to capture some shots of that otter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, I think the last one is my favourite too, I'll pop into Aldi's on Thursday for one of them cameras, for the possible otter, great price that. However what the individual didn't realise when he slashed my tyres is that one of my neighbours who is elderly has a camera pointing down her drive way and clicks on every time someone walks past the front of her property, I KNOW who it is and now the police do too, I'm shocked and somewhat perplexed as I considered the bloke a good friend.

      Delete
  2. That's a shame about your converter and car! Hope it's no one from the birding world! Still got some nice shots tho! Just wish I Could drive to get the most use out my lens! Hope to see you soon tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the converter is ok, it's not anyone from the birding world who slashed my tyres it's someone I've known for a very long time which is what baffles me as to why. Sorry about Sunday, but I was in such a grumpy/foul mood I needed to clear my head.

      Delete
  3. That's fine! Think we both know a calm dug is better than a grumpy one :p may be down there again this Sunday unless you want to meet any other time :) just let me know if you do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong mate:) Friday I'll text you on my work phone my actual mobile has given up being chucked around the room and is kapuut:)

      Delete
  4. I hope your neighbour gets his come-uppance for this Doug. You must be very disappointed to suddenly find a different side to someone that you thought you'd known for a long while!

    Super Reed Warbler images, Doug.

    I hope the teleconverter holds up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, sorry I should have said it was a neighbours cctv that id the rat, and it was a drinking/pub buddy that slashed the tyres. Yeah it was a bit of a knife to the back moment, he's done it to two others too...weird

      Delete