Wednesday, 19 June 2013

STORTONS GRAVEL PIT RE-VISITED

Had my annual medical today, legal requirement for drivers of  the company I work for, poked and prodded by a nurse sounds like any red blooded males dreams come true, sadly not when the nurse looks like an ex-East German shot-putter cica 1980's and grumpy as hell, jeez I was glad this wasn't an internal examination!!!
The "medical" centre was up near Duston, so on the way back stopped off down Stortons Pit for a couple of hours, more in hope of finding that Hobby and to wipe the memory of what "nurse" did, which with the hazy cloud cover, occasionally being broken by some hot,hot sun I was glad it didn't show, nor did the Swifts, just the one and that didn't hang around. I parked up in the main carpark scanned the big lake, not many Terns either, just four, odd!
I headed straight for the footpath that runs along the river and at the back of the ex-gravel pit and up towards the MASSIVE reedbed.
Along the path the were plenty of common species but apart from the Blackbirds all the adult birds were in heavy moult from nest tending duties (Goldfinch,Blue Tit,Great Tit and Dunnocks) so weren't very photogenic but plenty around. Other birds seen were Cettis Warbler, Common Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat also a male Kestrel in one of the willows by the side of the river alas no fly-by of a Kingfisher, on Westlake not much of note really apart from a Gadwall on a nest and some Tufted Ducks.
I decided to concentrate on one species today since I didn't either have much time nor half decent images of this species this year: SEDGE WARBLER



 There were quite a few along this section of footpath, the above images are actually from four separate spots along the footpath, with so many about you can see why I opted to concentrate on just the one species.
 The next image is my favourite from the day, any help with the official id of the bugs would be amazing/gratefully received, especially the big forked tail one lol...

14 comments:

  1. Can't help with the ID of the bug Doug, but cracking shots of the Sedge. Usually quite secretive, so well done for getting them out in the open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith, I reckon because of footpath these Sedge's are a bit more people tolerant, normally like you say they flee at first sight

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you weren't too traumatised after your encounter with 'nursey' Douglas and were able to steady your shutter finger enough to get this super set of images!

    The bug?...the three tails make it a Mayfly...either ephemera danica or ephemera vulgata (by sight, you can only tell the difference by the spots on the wings and the body colour)...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed and grateful for the tip there Trevor, there is some amazing detail at 100% zoom in Capture One of the bugs, so I'll have another look.

      Delete
  3. Great images of, possibly, my favourite warbler species (possibly influenced by it being one that I can readily identifiy!).

    I've always thought that these were Mayfly, Doug, but I've never checked! The Dippers and Grey Wagtails were catching mainly these in Scotland recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, just wished it was a Dipper:) I have to admit the Reed Warbler is at number 1 and Sedge Warbler is a close second as a favourite summer warbler.

      Delete
  4. Oi my Aunt is from Germany AND she works at Duston. I will show her this post and I'm sure she would then be only too pleased to do that internal examination you mentioned! ooo ahh ooo AHHHHHH.

    Nice post and that first image is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the infamous nurse Pauline Van Viddle? She did a good Scops Owl impression?:)
      Thanks Paul

      Delete
  5. Splendid series of images of a bird that I photographed yesterday (coincidentally). I love their constant calling in the reeds. I too think that the last image, with all that lovely muted green, is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Christian, the Sedge when in full voice is truly ear drum busting, luckily these were doing that "wet farty" like chat call. I'll look at for your Sedge's soon:)

      Delete
  6. some nice shots there doug, took your advice and am going to try my own blog :) http://thomashedge.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found it, and now it appears on my blog list...jammy sod, Hobby:) Meanwhile whilst you're having fun I'm was trying to keep a 40tonne truck upright in the wind, hopefully better weather to come this week..:)

      Delete
  7. Great shots of the sedge! Such fantastic detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, hope you have a great time at Glastonbury.

      Delete