Friday, 14 June 2013

THE REEDBED...CUCKOO

Well the place that doesn't deliver any species of note according to some local bird photographers has pulled a cracker this evening.
I finished work quite early and had two options 1) Go home chuck some dishes around in a sink or 2) Go for a walk round the reedbed with grey skies.....easy option really.
As I walked along the footpath towards the reedbed I was seeing plenty of distant birds the best just a Buzzard and Mistle Thrush, I was really annoyed by the grey skies but with the wind I could see some blue up there sadly not in time for this wee beauty....all my cuckoo flight shots seem to coincide with grey skies, I'm due a break aren't I?
But it got worse (photography wise anyway), the bird headed over the reedbed so was I and as I walked along the boardwalk, there it was perched and me with no cover apart from the low fence of the boardwalk...so I got on my knees and was making good progress, got a dodgy record shot (below) and carried on, I was surprising myself as I got closer and the bird calling away I had to clear a bunch of willow on the corner of the boardwalk then I was certain of a good portrait....BANG....fucking (excuse my french) hell the bird was off...one of those pigeon scarer thingy's I hate them!!!! 
I posted the above rubbish image as I know one birdy/camera bloke who blasphemed the "Reedbed" and will recognise the fence....shame he's off to a "family wedding" this weekend..wuh huh huh!!! Have fun mate!
So I headed to where the above bird was as it's a good spot for both Sedge Warblers and Reed Warblers and the cuckoo was still on the boardwalk but flew away I had not only failed to see it but in fairness I thought it had cleared off I did see the same bird twice more but no signs of a female sadly.
The Reed Warblers are finally showing at the tops of the reed stems, as I waited on the boardwalk for them to show a Water Rail was heard but not seen.

Shame the nesting material is slightly hiding the eye but it's a starting point I guess, my excuse I was keeping my eyes peeled for that Cuckoo. What I did see was circa 150 Swifts heading south west from my location, they were a movement and not a feeding party, they flew straight through in small flock of 10-15 at a time over an hour, no hunting and they didn't circle back neither....a bit early I thought!!!
Got this Sedge Warbler too whilst waiting for the Reed Warblers....a bit distant though.
 After a while I headed up the farm track to search for the Kestrel, the male was hunting the verges of the oil rape seed field and was some distance off, I could try approaching, but left it for another day, along the setaside I got this very worn looking Green Woodpecker, the sun had finally came out and was strong and didn't take long for a heat haze to develop....
 Now the next image has developed an argument in the Mac residence, my girlfriend reckons this is a Roe deer and I'm telling her it's a Muntjac (seriously she watches 3 weeks of Springwatch and is now an expert), I refuse to accept she's right....put me out of my misery, what is it?
Wasn't bad result for just a couple of hours after work, sadly Saturday is work for me, however Sunday ain't....weather permitting guess where I'll be heading after a morning visit to Summer Leys?

14 comments:

  1. Some grand shots Douglas no matter what you think.
    How big is the deer Roe are twice the size of Muntjac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian, the deer was very small, barked like a muntjac and for height comparison I pointed out the metal fence wire to the lady of the house...who cooks Sunday dinner rests on it:)

      Delete
  2. You made the right choice Douglas, you got some super images and the dishes will always wait! It's a shame that the Cuckoo didn't want to play ball (although I would be more than happy to have got those shots!)maybe you'll have more luck next time, you may have to silence that bird scarer first though!!

    Cracking shots of the Warblers too.

    1-0 to you in the deer spotting ID league!...I think!!!

    Have a good weekend...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Trevor, I'm 100% certain it's a muntjac, I was quite pleased she took an interest to be fair, Springwatch has done something to her:)
    I had a chat with the farmer about the bird scarer and he's moving it further away from the reedbed...good bloke that he is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant post. I still haven't seen a cuckoo, but I have heard one now, so I am one step closer. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Findlay, it was my first decent encounter with a cuckoo this year, I hope you catch up with yours, they're a brilliant bird

      Delete
  5. Great Cuckoo shots Doug, and the woody.
    I reckon Muntjac too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, my girlfriend has seen the comments and has realised she's doing the Sunday dinner:)

      Delete
  6. Muntjac, i hope the dinner tastes nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did taste a lot better seeming as I didn't have to cook it :)

      Delete
  7. Really nice images mate especially the cuckoo, a bird that has so far eluded my lens although I did hear plenty in Wales but none so far this year in Leicestershire?

    Muntjac for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, the cuckoo had eluded me too which is a shame. My missus ain't happy with everyones id of the deer:) Though the sunday dinner was nice....

      Delete
  8. Brilliant images, and what about the Cuckoo, perfection.

    ReplyDelete