Thursday, 25 July 2013

LITTLE OWL'S ARE LIKE BUSES....

....nothing for ages then three come along at the same time.
The first is the one I've already blogged about which is proving tricky to get an image of. The other two were flukes. Last night as I came back from walking the dogs up at Salcey forest I stumbled across this one.
Quite a bold individual, it had spotted me and I thought I'd missed my chance as it dropped off the "green" sign it was sat on to the ground (behind a hedge) but it popped up as quickly as it had dropped down, and kept repeating the process...hunting? If it hadn't been so late (21:05) flight shots were in the offering at  ISO 1250, 1/60th second shutter speed (300mm and x2 teleconverter) I was happy to get a portrait, all the flight shots were binned. Can you spot the damage it has done to sign (advertising a boarding kennel) just behind it's arse? It had done that pulling away at it with it's bill and pecking at the exposed area, it looked like it was hunting for small grubs and insects.
The third owl was much late (21.45) and was behind the Moulton Park Indusrial estate just a record image of this bird sadly, and a bit of "photoshopping", not that you could tell!!!!! I left a few clues to where it is in the image lol.

12 comments:

  1. This is a little beauty. An excellent find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adrian, pure fluke, sat right at the edge of the road on the sign, I should perhaps concentrate harder on my driving lol

      Delete
  2. Cracking first image Douglas..a real poser!

    Hhmmm?...not sure about the PS work on the last one..lol!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Just like buses", yes you are right Doug. Once you have got your eye in and of course a bit of luck. I also like what you have done with the last image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, for such a small species they can be quite easily spotted once you get th eye in, sadly it's only the second LO I've photographed this year:(

      Delete
  4. I must get myself relocated to a bus route!! Your post brought a big smile to my face, particularly with that last image!

    Let's hope we can look forward to some more LOs from you Doug.

    Best wishes - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, it's been hard for me as I wanted to get LO's from new sites this year, but hopefully I'll get some more:)

      Delete
  5. The last image is a corker mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Christian, easliy one of my favourites too :)

      Delete
  6. Very creative! Wish I had an influx of little owls near me!

    ReplyDelete