Monday, 22 July 2013

Can't think of a title

Well I've struggled to be fair to find anything of note to photograph the last few days to be honest. On Friday (19th) I went up to Cottesbrooke to try and locate a reported Barn Owl, no luck sadly, though I had a couple a people from the village say they had seen, sods law I guess? Still not a complete waste of time, I checked on a Little Owl I had almost ran over, it wasn't to hard to locate as it was perched on the village sign welcoming visitors to Haslebech, I pulled up and the moment I stopped off it went...must have remembered the vehicle and the close shave..., got some good views but that was about it, hmmm not much luck there then, so I cleared back off to Cottesbroke for some late Housemartins and Swallow images, not many Swallows here this year as in previous years, however the Housemartins are about the same in numbers. I managed a few shots before the heat got be thinking pub time.....
HOUSE MARTIN, COTTESBROOKE, 19TH JULY 2013
KESTREL, MAKING A CALL FOR SOME TAKE OUT, HASSLEBECH 19TH JULY 2013
Kept a dodgy kestrel image from the Little Owl watching, not great but at least it hanged around unlike the Little Owl.
Saturday (20th) was dedicated to bird watching of another sort, the girlfriend wanted to go to a "French Market" at Castle Ashby, nice food (really nice), nice wine (really,really nice wine) and cheese (not so nice..yuk!) but despite it being a "French Market" not many French people for sale or present...shame. Meanwhile I kept looking skywards in between attempts to look interested, hundreds of House Martins mixed in with plenty of Swallows. First a Redkite glided over and the flock gathered up giving a good idea to the numbers, easily 100+ House Martins but only about 20 Swallows. The House Martins here were in very good numbers at this village, probably the best I've seen in the county, heard a Buzzard before seeing it also a Hobby. I must have been looking up for a long time as some old boy said "Have you seen the Raven?", "No" came the reply, he then went on to tell me about it, something to check out I thought. With the House Martins etc I pencilled a visit for Monday.
Sunday (21st) I foolishly took the advice of the weatherman who promised "sun" by early afternoon, so the morning I ventured to a fishing lake with a friend who had been seeing Kingfishers regularly, he wasn't joking, all morning I watched an adult male and female taking it in turns to feed two juveniles on a branch, completely un-bothered by our presence about 11am they vanished and according to my friend "they always do that, won't be back until the evening", great views but sadly my definition for close enough for an image is somewhat different to my mates, after I explained how close I would have to be I was promised a "new" spot, he will do it too, once he's got permission for me being at the private lake. Still no sun so I went up to Welford reservoir, not much image wise and bird wise, I did manage some Pied Wagtail images but nothing special.....when the sun finally showed itself....
PIED WAGTAIL, WELFORD 21ST JULY 2013, A BIT CAMP LOOKING?


Today (22nd) I was going to go up to Castle Ashby, however the Highway Agency decided to resurface to complete road outside (thanks to our local MP) so no more potholes to explore the depths of anymore and no more ripped up tyres, but it meant I couldn't leave the house until 11pm by which time it was scorching hot and very humid, I drove around Castle Ashby, got some rather distant and high up House Martins, a Redkite, Buzzard, Hobby, Kestrel,Sparrowhawk and a total of 8 Skylarks and some Yellowhammers up near the riffle range also another Little Owl, sadly the only half decent image was this Collared Dove from my roof whilst waiting for the road resurfacing to be completed, to be fair a bit of a let down for me this weekend, I guess better luck next time!
COLLARED DOVE, MY ROOF 22ND JULY 2013, NICE LICHEN!!

10 comments:

  1. We thought summer would never come but it did and the young Kestrel is here in all it's glory to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly just the one youngster from the nest box, I think nest boxes are the key to turning kestrel numbers around.

      Delete
  2. Oooh! la! la! (that's French!!)...you may have missed out on the shots that you wanted Douglas, but the ones you DID get are crackers!! I like that 'hopeful looking' young Kestrel.
    Shame you weren't close enough for any Kingfisher shots, fingers crossed you'll have better luck on your next visit! I look forward to seeing them...(no pressure then!!)...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci monsieur:) The "hopeful" kes was waiting for the adult male to come with food, only the one youngster sadly.

      Delete
  3. But you did!! (think of a title).

    How can you say "struggled .... to find anything of note to photograph" when you come up with an absolutely cracking image of a House Martin in flight. Wonderful!!

    All the best. Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, problem with me is I prefer to be outside rather then in a hide and with all this heat and humidity I've struggled to find cool shady areas and birds I was hoping for and felt a little disappointed with what I did get, apart from the House Martin, I love them a great species.

      Delete
  4. I do like the walking Wagtail mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a brave little species really, they always make me chuckle.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, I'm a bit partial to the little House martin, shame they're so tricky to catch in flight, but fun too.

      Delete