Saturday, 24 August 2013

BLUE HEADED WAGTAIL

Well thanks to Mike Alibone for pointing out the Blue Headed Wagtail in the post below, they're images 3,4 and 6 and it's the out of focus bird in the background. I had some slightly more in focus images but not much better of the individual in question. However I'm not going to post the images as Mike has them and will post them on Northants Bird Reports next week (probably Friday, I'll let you know or just look down the blog list down the left handside). Why? God (and Mike) knows how many images I've sent to Mike asking him "what's this/that etc" and he's always been kind enough to say, he also pointed out the bird in question, I didn't notice it although it did catch my eye on the day as all the other Yellow Wags weren't happy with it being around, chasing it or showing aggresive posturing when I got home I thought young grey wagtail!!!....idiot! 
It's a new race of species for me and another image record and race of species that I've got for Welford reservoir  but I've learnt two very important things from yesterday 1) Don't give your Collins Birdguide book to someone's daughter to use leaving you some cheap RSPB (rspb) little field book 2) Trust your gut, I was going to email the image late on Friday night to Mike, but thought "he's had enough dodgy record shots from me"....lesson learnt.
As a side note if any you guys spot something that ain't rightly identified or think I've made a mistake, let me know, I know from personal experience some individuals take exception when you point out an error, I DON'T, I really do welcome any tips/hints etc to be honest I need all the help I can get :)...oh and don't forget scan them flocks very carefully, you never know!

7 comments:

  1. Nope!..didn't spot that one either, it's a good job that somebody's on the ball!! A good lesson learned...it's never to late to learn from our mistakes...lol!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep my bird spotting skills are as good as Cal Crutchlow's race starts...needs some work!

      Delete
  2. Well done Douglas!...you got two out of three, not bad!...lol

    I hope you had some money on it?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not a gambling man, though you got two out of three too. Was impressed though by JB's performance even had a fastest lap for a while.

      Delete
  3. Yeh, he had a good try, a pity their strategy didn't pay off, could have been a podium!
    Next year!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't have spotted that myself either, Doug. I'm such a dunce when it comes to birds that I'd be totally lost without other people telling me what's what, so I always welcome corrections - especially if they come with an explanation. It also helps me not to feel too inadequate when an experienced birder can miss something too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard makes me a tiny bit better that I wouldn't have been the only one to miss it. I'm looking forward to Mikes post about this race of bird as some of the info I got via email is quite fascinating.

      Delete