Sunday, 11 August 2013

JUST SWALLOWS TODAY

I just opted for swallows today, it won't be long before these head for home. I parked up at the village carpark in Cottesbrooke seeming as the sky couldn't makeup whether it was going to be sunny or cloudy and this is the best place for  Swallows along the ground. There was a healthy number of juveniles and adults skimming for mostly Hover Flies and doing a good job.



During a cloudier moment I headed for the car to get a drink as I did the House Martins and Swallows all alarmed call and headed for an area above the houses, I knew what was coming and cursed my luck at the grey skies, I got a record shot (though it's too grey and horrible for even me to post) of a Hobby snatching a juvenile Swallow, this put an end to play as the juveniles were too skittish to come back down and play, still had some good fun and also saw a very "worn" looking Yellow Wagtail by the "timber" yard.

16 comments:

  1. These pictures are brilliant. I spent ages trying to photograph a leucistic Sand Martin today but just got a blurry blob. Mum got a record shot, but I couldn't move my camera quick enough. From Findlay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Findlay, they are fast but so enjoyable to watch and photograph.

      Delete
  2. Excellent....Do you use manual focus? Either way I bet you had a good work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to use autofocus as you know from the 400mm f/2.8 the manual focus ring on Canon lenses isn't really up to speedy focussing, to big and bulky.

      Delete
    2. I'll try it but doubt i'd be quick enough. I'm an idle man and will use f11 to f16 pre focus and pray.
      These are unbelievably good.

      Delete
  3. Cracking set of images Douglas, it's a shame that the Hobby put an end to the days proceedings!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor, it was a shame it always seems to happen on grey sky days:(

      Delete
  4. Amazing captures,your Header is out of this World.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, the header is one of my favourite images and favourite bird too.

      Delete
  5. Fancy saying "just Swallows", these images are superb mate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up with my favourite blogs after my visit to Yorkshire.

    Difficult to find words for these images other than WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these swallow pics! I don't like the idea of a poor juv being snatched by a hobby :( I know it is the circle of life but I'm a sentimental thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lou, it's an interesting point you make, it definately provokes different reatcions, i know one photographer very well who was slated by other birders when a birding magazine printed images of a skua predating another bird, which I thought was a bit unfair as he was just recording a natural event, when I view wildlife it's often from a viewfinder on the camera so feel kind of removed/seperated from the situation, though I do feel a bit of sympathy for the predated bird/animal, I think you would have to be a very cold hearted person not to.

    ReplyDelete