Thursday, 22 August 2013

"THE REEDBED"...again

After work today I was supposed to go in search of the two Marsh Tits and get some better images, however there were patches of grey cloud and seeming as the birds was in a dark'ish location and the fact I had just a couple of hours to spare I thought I would let them be....for now!
So I opted to head for the reedbed, sure if it rained, which it did for about 5 minutes, I would get wet but the rain was welcomed as it was quite muggy and cooled me down for a few minutes.
Sadly the Reedbed lived up to it's reputation, in fact no Reed Warblers chugging away, no Sedge Warblers to be seen, plenty of Bullfinches and I saw 4 juvenile Jays, one Green Woodpecker....STILL no Hobbies...not many common birds apart from a few Dunnocks, but what I did note was the number of wrens either seen or ticking away, perhaps they've had a good summer, I counted Wrens at 12 different areas on the site. The reason, I think the Reed Warblers were so quiet was the below bird....
A cracking looking female Sparrowhawk gliding around probably the same female I photographed on my first visit to the site in the spring, shame about the skies but what was nice to see and showing behaviour that I've witnessed my local female Sparrowhawk on Eastfield Park doing exactly the same, teaching a juvenile to hunt, from what I could figure out/see just the one juvenile. I was able to determine this as both were sat on a dead tree down by the lake, it was great to hear the juvenile calling for food....this wouldn't be a Doug's blog if i don't post a record shot....hold your breath for a cracker of an image.......
 TOLD YOU IT WAS GOOD! 
Adult female at the top, juvenile at the bottom, whilst standing on the boardwalk I heard a Green Sandpiper passing overhead going down the River Nene and a lot of Swallows also passing overhead, very high up too.
I managed to find a Reed Warbler that hang around long enough for a few images, looking at them in the browser at 100% magnification it has several ticks around the back of it's head and a couple on the front section of it's head too.
YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE OUT ONE OF THE TICKS IN THE GREY'ISH AREA ABOVE THE EYE

ANOTHER TICK ABOVE THE CENTRE POINT OF THE EYE


 As I done a circuit of the site the warbler numbers have gone down, in one corner where I normally get Common Whitethroat, Cettis Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat and Chiff-Chaff all I got was Lesser Whitethroat, hopefully it was just the presence of the sparrowhawk and not a mass evacuation off the site, as the skies got darker and the rain started to fall briefly, I got a Grey Heron, wasn't my best visit to the REEDBED to be honest but the spot has been good to me this summer, so I was due a bad 'un.
I wonder what this site will produce as the Autumn and then winter kick in...hopefully a Bittern maybe some Bearded Tits or perhaps a Marsh Harrier, one part of the site is pretty good looking for a Barn Owl too....fingers crossed.
I stopped off on the way home at the marina at Billing Aquadrome and zig-zagging inches off the surface of the water one Green Sandpiper which settled on the rocks in front of the new gym complex, it had to be the same one I heard passing overhead, doesn't it?

8 comments:

  1. Excellent set of images.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Sprawk in flight image mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, I'd swap it for one of your tawny's any day though

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit worried about the ticks on that Reed Warbler, Doug. Let's hope it's not the start of a mass infestation!

    That Sprawk image is super, Doug. I would have called it a very successful visit with that one in the can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the odd tick on reed and sedge warblers before because of the habitat but no this many, through seperate images I counted 8. I think the BTO somewhere published a report about migrant birds coming in with ticks.

      Delete
  4. I wish I could forget about Ticks.
    Great shots nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Adrian, I too have been busy removing ticks from my hounds of late, I think ticks have benefited from the summer's weather.

      Delete