Wednesday, 14 August 2013

WOT NO KINGFISHER?

What's going on with Blogger? Some odd events are taking place. First up Trevors blog (three counties herald) almost disappeared of my blog list and shows a post from 3 months ago when I know his last post was about a juvenile Robin, then Debs F Grants (Lothian) blog when I clicked on it, it said "no-post" found-probably was being re-edited as it works ok now and a post at 10,000 birds went awol the reappeared.
The last two days I've been trying to photograph a Kingfisher with the use of a sweaty small canvas hide. When I visited Ecton sewage farm and I was sat at the weir I noted this Kingfisher kept perching on a particular branch at the top of the weir, so I set up the hide on Monday and sweated away all day, the Kingfisher didn't show and all I got was one Grey Wagtail image.
GREY WAGTAIL 
There seems to be a lot of these Grey Wag's around here at the moment even the dirty ponds on Eastfield park has one lurking and today I counted six fly-overs from the backgarden. I'm quite impressed by the wee little fellows attempt at walking across the top of the weir, I remember as a kid the water was quite powerful at the top of the weir, surprised it never slipped and took a swim.
So given the fact the hide was only up for the day, I assumed the Kingfisher had clocked it a decided not to stop, so armed with some old branches I covered it up more which just served to make it even more sweaty inside. The Kingfisher popped through a few more times but didn't stop once....grrrr, no photo's then but I shall keep trying.
It has given me a chance of catching up with some Swallows that I took but never got round to processing from the 11th

JUVENILE SWALLOW



Who remembers trapping their feet under one of these round-abouts as a kid? No health and safety in my day.....or stopping the younger kids from getting off and just keep spinning it until they were sick, I was a pleasant child lol

 From my post on the 11th I said about the Hobby snatching Swallows and the rubbish record shots thanks to the grey skies and how I wasn't even prepared to publish the images....well I lied.
These are un-cropped/full frames no work apart from some unsharp mask.

 Note in the first two frames how the Swallows mob any predator, to their cost and in the first frame along the bottom of the frame a fleeing House Martin, this is typical behaviour ie brave swallows, cowardly House Martins or should that be brave/stupid?
And in the last frame...chomp!
On a non birding note I haven't been paying to close attention the sport pages but when I saw Jose was trying to sign an over-weight, out of form, slightly balding (slightly?), foul mouth and bad temper footballer for £30 million I kept checking my bank account for the cheque, sadly it seems he was after Wayne Pooney, don't do it Jose, I'll sign up for just a fraction of that £30 million and probably play more games too........

10 comments:

  1. All that effort. I wouldn't do it. It's worse than climbing hills in the dark only as dawn breaks for the mist to come blasting in.
    You are the master of the Swallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder sometimes Adrian why I do it, but the odd thing was I enjoyed it, not sure why when no images were got.
      Not to sure about the master of the swallow sounds something like Dale Winton might say :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the uncooperative Kingfisher, Doug! Great photos of the Swallows. Amazing and informative sequence on the Hobby with the Swallows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, the Hobby annoys me, twice I've been at the loaction both times as it clouded over the Hobby comes in, it all takes place amazingly over a small village too.

      Delete
  3. I think blogger is developing a mind of its own at the moment Doug.

    great action shots of the Hobby bagging lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about blogger, just wish the Hobby was fractionally closer and blue skies would've been nice, but saying that I haven't seen that many Hobbies this year:(

      Delete
  4. Interesting read as ever! Funny how some times the mobbers become the mobbed (if you know what I mean). Have seen it happen with Sparrowhawk before. Great flight shots of the Swallows by the way, in this blog and previous post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, I too have seen it with sparrowhawks, I actually saw a flock ground a sparrowhawk once, though one swallow was predated the others were still trying to mob the Hobby. It happens quite a bit, i wrote a post from the same location last year (can't hit a barn door, August 28th 2012) when the Hobby wasn't so succesful.

      Delete
  5. Not much catches a swallow mate. Pretty impressive skills by you to get those images and by the Hobby for catching them, in a different way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree the Hobby is a very clever and agile bird, I love them.

      Delete