Thursday, 26 September 2013

A BACKLOG OF ODDS AND SODS

OOP's....I've discovered a serious flaw in my image processing/workflow. I've lost count the number of times I've read really well written and informative articles from very talented photographers stressing the need for a "workflow"....sadly I thought I had a system but my recent need to backup/transfer images onto a bigger hard-drive made me realise HOW bad I was in the early days (never heard of workflow pre 2010 lol). I was trolling through all the images before putting them onto the harddrive searching out for any duplicates any "worse" then record images.
GREENSHANK, WELFORD SEPTEMBER 2009
I quickly went through 2008 images, not many good ones to keep from my first year, saved myself 4 gigabytes of space then. Got into 2009 and finished it off last night in my office/truck it was now I realised my crap workflow was useless, the process then was 1:upload raw images into capture one. 2:delete all rubbish and out of focus images. 3:Pick images that were straight forward crop/tone/sharpening-process. 4:Upload to various blog/websites etc 5:store/backup 6: go back and work on harder images/images that require a bit of thought.....sounds a reasonable workflow but since then 4 has changed places with 5....however there was one small problem, I never got round to working on all of those images at stage 6, ooops....

LITTLE EGRET, SUMMERLEYS, SEPTEMBER 2009
Now some of the images I can see why I never got round to working on them, some however left me wondering why...lazy, however even though they're four years old I kept them to roughly this end of September......so it's what I would expect to see at this time of year.
COMMON REDSHANK (ADULT),SUMMER LEYS, SEPTEMBER 2009

COMMON REDSHANK (JUVENILE) WITH BUG, SUMMERLEYS, SEPTEMBER 2009

COMMON REDSHANK(JUVENILE), SUMMERLEYS, SEPTEMBER 2009
One odd quirk it has been fascinating going from September 2008 to September 2013 and seeing how different locations have changed, small things that have sublimely slipped by un-noticed sometimes good and sometimes bad, but one thing that stood out was compared to 2009 the last two years on the scrape at Summer Leys has been poor. Now I know the Wildlife Trust has re-profiled the scrape, but one thing looking at the images you can see the number of species, for an example 2009 Redshank adults and juveniles, Ringed Plover (adult and juveniles), Lapwing (adult and juveniles), Little Ringed Plovers (adult and juveniles), birds on passage Green Sandpipers, Black Tail Godwits,Ruffs, Greenshanks, Common Sandpiper and the odd Curlew, pretty much the same in 2010, in 2011 there was a noticeable drop in waders that bred on the scrape (going on the images I obtained and my fieldnotes) it was sadly worse in 2012 and well this year I gave up on Summer Leys to be fair so can't comment to much on what did and didn't breed, but from what I've been told it hasn't been a stella year. Now some of that can be put down to the condition of the scrape (not much though), but also 2010 and 2011 we did have a terrible summer weather wise,predation levels from a fox and crows stealing eggs, I got 16 images of Crows in 2011 stealing eggs, 1 image from the same year of a group of Jackdaws hassling a Redshank,1 image of a Redshank with a Little Ringed Plover egg! but also you have to look sadly at the numbers of people like myself visiting the site...still more the better (!?) Let's hope the re-profiled scrape attracts next years passage birds down, looking at it when the work was ongoing it did look good.....so there's hope, let's hope the weather play's it part too.
GREEN SANDPIPER, SUMMERLEYS, SEPTEMBER 2009

"GET OFF MY SCRAPE", LAPWING AND STARLINGS, SUMMERLEYS, SEPTEMBER 2009

YELLOW WAGTAIL, WELFORD RESERVOIR, SEPTEMBER 2009
Also from the images I've seen one difference at Welford, regular place for Yellow wagtails and an improvement in numbers dropping in over the years, same species of waders, though I've not posted on here the image of Pectoral Sandpiper I got in 2009 (one to many record shots already) and sadly didn't get either a Wood Sandpiper nor Pectoral Sandpiper at Welford this year, but I did get an Osprey as means of compensation, swings and roundabouts.
Hopefully with Friday being my first day off of my shift pattern I can get some decent and more recent images....though I'm off work so it'll probably rain cats and dogs :o)

6 comments:

  1. You have inspired me to make a resolution....from now on I will spend two hours a week re cataloging and saving images where they can be found.
    Todays images shouldn't have slipped through your net. Great shots one and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adrian, since about Oct/Nove 2010 my work flow got better and images left unworked went into a seperate folder so they're not left in limbo, but once you have a decent work flow the unworked folder becomes thinner and thinner...some still slip by though :o)

      Delete
  2. Wow you actually have a work flow!! That is dedication!! Maybe I should have some kind of system! I seem to only edit photos that I am going to put on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lou I look at my backlog and images I've failed to process and have to question if I do have a workflow, perhaps I'm just kidding myself :o)
      Mind you I have to confess to doing similar to, picking my favourites that I post but then I go out with the camera and get more images forgetting those unworked ones...I blame nature for being so addictive.

      Delete
    2. It really is very addictive, and we nature photographers always strive to improve on our photos of particular species etc.

      Delete
    3. You're right Lou, both photography and nature should be prescribed by the NHS

      Delete