Thursday, 5 September 2013

SUMMER LEYS-SNIPE & HOBBY

I hadn't been up to Summer Leys for an age now. Last time I popped in I had a quick scan of the scrape and turned around and left. The water levels were low, the muddy areas were dry and there was loads of this invasive Japanese weed (not Knotweed) everywhere.
I turn up today and the mechanical sound of dumper truck and digger made my heart sink, why hadn't the wildlife trust posted something on there website? Well the workmen (two) were busy away re-profiling the scrape, which judging by the size of the dumper truck (10 tonner) meant a lot of soil being moved away, oh well I was here now so make the most of it.
To be fair the whole time the men were in their trucks I got some reasonable birds. Two Little Egret's, 2 Green Sandpipers (one came onto the scrape), 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Snipe and 1 Hobby. When they got out the birds legged it and flew towards me...always a silver lining.
Here's the Snipe...
 Reasonably chuffed with the Snipe I always struggle to get anything half decent "flight shot" wise. And just in time for the end of the summer I got a Hobby in good light, I missed the really close, super fast, low sweep across the scrape (out of practise this year) but got lucky as it turned around and flew past the hide window, a bit far away but work's ok'ish!!??
In sequence as I like this style of flight shots, as if I use my browser and flick the "next" button quick enough it's like one of them "flicker" books I had as a kid :o)




I like the first one and last two, just pleased I got a go on one before they migrate off..
Oh and judging from the work, so far, I can't wait to see the scrape next spring.

19 comments:

  1. Another very good set. What has the Hobby caught?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I see it now. It's a Dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but what species lol. It's an amazing site watchinh a Hobby hawking for dragonflies, nature is great.

      Delete
    2. It's a Common Darter. I'll not be gainsaid.

      Delete
    3. I haven't got a clue, all I knew there was alot of them on the wing and the majority, including the one's in it's talon had a blue and black striped body

      Delete
    4. I can't locate my insex book. A Hobby is Kestrel sized so I guess the dragonfly is an Emperor if it has blue on it. Trevor will know.

      Delete
    5. PS. The Grand Prix----Hamilton, Raikkonan, Alonso, Vettal.

      Delete
    6. I like the looks of that top four.

      Delete
  3. Great shots, I would be happy to get just one Hobby shot let alone a sequence like this :-) However knowing just how difficult Snipe are to photograph in flight I have to say your first photo is excellent :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally David I see these all summer, yet this year I've seem so few so I too was glad just for a decent chance to photograph one.

      Delete
  4. Superb set of images Douglas, the Snipe is fantastic..what am I saying?...the Hobby images are equally as good!...just brilliant.

    I'm not up on the the names of the different areas of Summer Leys, which part are you calling the scrape? I always find the birds a bit distant there so hopefully the new works will bring them a bit nearer?...[;o)

    Monza predictions: The Ferrari's will have to do well or the tifosi will go mad, A good part of the lap is flat out and I don't reckon the Red Bulls have got good high speed, Lotus have got their new long wheelbase to help the 'turn in' to those chicanes (and they've got the speed!) so.... I'm going to plump for Alonso; Vettel; Raikkonen...with a Force India (if they can sort their strategy heads out?) as an outsider. I don't think the Mercs and the Macs will be up to it this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor.
      The scrape is the area viewed from the two tier hide (paul britain) and the main hide in the carpark (pioneer). I think the scrape will bring some of the birds closer as it'll give more nesting room for the various birds, problem this year was the Black Headed Gulls took over the scrape so the waders went elsewhere.
      Monza:I'm cynical and reckon also Alonso to keep the tifosi at the track, so hard to go against Seb at the moment, so Seb,Alonso,Hamilton(so late on the brakes, so benefits from Monza) but will there be tyre delamination on the curbs?

      Delete
    2. Well done Douglas...two out of three, not bad! I don't think anyone will best the bulls now! It looks like Ferrari are on the point of imploding and Hamilton is having another head fit!..all interesting stuff though!...[;o)

      Delete
    3. Not bad but I think at the moment Seb's the best driver in the best car at the moment, so it's an obvious choice for first place at the moment it's getting the next four places right that's tricky. I don't understand Fernando at the moment, acting very odd! Shame we coudln't hear more from John Surtees at the end though..shame on the tifosi. As for Mr.H, I don't think Niki Lauda likes him in the team the body language between the two is classic "stand off-ish", Niki always talks up Roseberg in other press and talks almost through gritted teeth about Mr.H, I personally believe he wants an all German line-up, which might explain Mr.H's head explosion, my jaw was on the ground whilst listening to Mr.H after qualifying!

      Delete
  5. I don't think you're that out of practice Doug! I wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance of capturing a passing Snipe - and you did it superbly!

    I also love the way you've captured the Hobby dispatching the dragonfly in flight - a brilliant sequence!

    Have, belatedly, put up your comment on my blog, and a reply discussing macro.

    Have a great weekend - Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, I too was pleased about the snipe I always struggle with them in flight, the hobby I was defnately out of practise, I really like Summer Leys for Hobbies as they zip through the scrape sadly I couldn't keep the bird in the frame.

      Delete
  6. Great images Douglas!! I do like a good sequence of events! Knowing how snipe fly, that is a tremendous photo! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, I think Snipe are up there with Green Woodpeckers and Little Owl for being tricky fliers.

      Delete