Wednesday, 16 October 2013

RAIN STOPS PLAY

One of them days that the dedicated birder relishes and the not so dedicated/lazy like myself think bugger! Very heavy rain and showers for the best part of the day. I didn't exactly call it quits straight away, I was happy to munch down a lovely warm bacon and egg butty which done wonders and washed it down with some so-so coffee, plumped myself in the car and sat opposite this hexagonal shape platform at the Billing Aquadrome, it was originally meant to be an extension for the Chinese restaurant with a bridge reaching over to it, but worked stopped on it years ago and never finished. It provides a nice platform for gulls etc to stay out us humans way, I was hoping the rain would stop or even just cease a little to get some images, sadly it never really did, saw a Kingfisher and saw plenty of Pied Wagtails, 16 to be exact and one Grey Wagtail, when I did brave putting the window down, to get soaked!, I got a couple of images.
GRUMPY GULL

DON'T YOU HATE IT WHEN RAIN RUNS OFF THE TIP OF YOUR NOSE?..A CORMORANT
Horrid weather :o)

9 comments:

  1. These are wonderful. it's always worth taking a camera out. The Cormorant is just perfect and thanks for not cropping. or not cropping too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wanted to crop the cormorant even less with those barges in the background, but there's a horrible metal cable that holds up a banner thingy and was a bit of distraction in the frame (visibible bottom left of frame), shame as less crop would've been even nicer :o)

      Delete
  2. Nearly braved it myself today, Doug, but decided that I just couldn't be arsed. Thought that, instead, I'd clear the decks here a bit bit more so that I can go out with a clear concience when we do get some fair weather. Hoping tomorrow might be that day!! It's been a bloody miserable month so far. It better be better next week as I'm on my own and a free agent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too nearly braved venturing out, in fact I only got out the car to get my butty :0) cars make great hides...heating, comfy seat and music, proper birding. Weather truly has been pants, hopefully tommorow is good I have some plans, fingers crossed.
      I think the rain (or snow) makes up for the grey skies as long as you have some sort of bird infront of you, not fussy

      Delete
  3. Sorry - forgot to say how well your images captured the mood! Excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too did venture out, but stayed in the car most of the time!!! However, the rain can offer some different offering although challenging at times, nice images Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Lou, planning a sun dance soon.

    ReplyDelete