Sunday, 20 October 2013

SUMMERLEYS AND ODDS AND SODS

A KESTREL. A MARMITE SHOT
 Saturday evening I got in the mother of all downpours, caught out in the open with a big old oak keeping me a little bit out of the wet, but saying that it felt good and odd. I saw one of the weirdest and most orange skies to date. It was like I was enveloped in a orange net. Too start the sky went dark and the wind got up, just as quickly the heavens opened, I did think I was in the middle of an approaching thunderstorm, luckily not, as the now grey skies cleared the sun was trying to get out from the grey clouds the orange vibe appeared, it reminded me as I stood there under the oak of this really dodgy sci-fi film set on Mars I watched and they used a really cheap red filter on the camera lens, very odd looking sky. I got a Kestrel beating a hasty retreat back to it's nest box. But I was too wet to bother with much else.
 Anyone planning a visit to Summer Leys and come via Great Doddington/A45 beware Hardwater Drive is closed for nearly 5 MONTHS due to repairs to the bridges at the Mill, which is GREAT yep it really is GREAT, the road out the front of the reserve was quiet, so quiet I could hear birds as I walked around the path on Friday afternoon. There was a few snipe on the scrape, a female Sparrowhawk and a Water Rail..image below....
which I and two other fellow photographers missed, despite actually waiting for it to fly from one reed bed to the reed bed near the hide, it was showing very well in the furthest reed bed, actually bathing and splashing around all I got was a back shot of a Water Rail landing, gutted.
I did have Jim, my hound with me (my excuse for missing the Rail) and after a few people stroked and rubbed him (wish that would happen to me once in a while) I walked around to the Paul Britain hide, got a Wren, there was a Goldcrest in the bushes near the road (told you it was quiet) but not much else

 There was a Starling with a white tail (was hoping it was a Ring Ouzel) which is my record shot for this post, as per quota.
And had some early practise for my flock shots which I'm going to concentrate more on during the winter months, especially since I've now found a reasonable sized Starling flock and the Golden Plovers are starting to arrive too.

7 comments:

  1. It is the season for dramatic weather. It's a pain.
    The Wren was very obliging, they don't stay still for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian, indeed the weather has been a real pain of late, I think the wren was happy no cars were rushing past it's hedge

      Delete
  2. Marmite shot... I LOVE it :) simple yet effective and beautiful. Lovely wren photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, the wren was very co-operative:o), the kestrel was weird the best/most amazing nature/natural thing was the amazing looking sky it was weird and wonderful, just wish I had a small lens to concentrate on the sky instead

      Delete
  3. Please anyone leaving a comment after my comment I won't be near a PC etc until probably Thursday to publish the comment and visit blogs etc, work commitments and being away from home :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're managing to get some really good images, Doug, in spite of what the weather is throwing at you. Marmite - I love it! Not too keen on the sticky brown version though!

    I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the weather. Pretty much hopeless for owling. Hope that it's better wherever you've gone.

    All the best - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Richard, I too hate marmite...yuk! Sadly the only place I'm going is a long work stint with a few nights in the lorry :o(

    ReplyDelete