Friday, 25 October 2013

WOT NO SHRIEK!.

Always the way isn't it a lovely bird turns up in your county and you have other plans, cemented in place. I "opted" not to go over to Harrington today as I have plans for Sunday which means I had to save money, you see I'm off to Wembley, not to watch Chelsea but to watch the 49'ers thrash the Jaguars, yep American Footie, not everyone's cup of tea I know, so I won't bore you with footie talk, I shall hopefully be under a roof come match day, I got my x-x-x-l (baggy style) 49'ers shirt, I've learnt to wear a baseball cap backwards, I've come to terms some of the Americans near me will not be able to pronounce Jaguar properly and prepared for being able to consume alcohol in the stadium...I hope!
 So I headed over to Summer Leys, photographic wise a bit of a let down, just a Buzzard above and a Moorhen in flight below. Good birds to be seen mind (not as tasty as shriek though) with Sparrowhawk, a Kestrel, big flock of Lapwing and still growing Golden Plover flock too, with circa 100+ at the moment and quite good numbers of Snipe, before being flushed I counted seven being harassed by Lapwings.
Also got a Little Grebe from the two tier hide, sadly the light was in my face and I've blown the back of the grebe's neck.
And did anyone see the lovely Black Kite at the end of first practise of the Indian GP? Lovely it was and nicely caught by the cameraman, I thought. So since I've only seen the first two practise sessions here's my predictions (from next week I'm doing Lotto numbers...) 1st Seb (of course) 2nd Lewis 3rd Fernando 4th Roman Grosjean...probably.

13 comments:

  1. Super shots from S Leys Douglas.
    I don't know why they call it football when they rarely kick the ball? And with all that big, he-man, shoulder padding to carry around it's no wonder that they have to take a rest every 10 minutes!
    And, they do it with funny shaped balls, what more do I need to say? I guess that the cheerleaders might take the edge of the boredom though.....ra!..ra!...ra!...J...A...G...U...A...R...S...come on you Jagoooaars!
    I hope you have a good evening and a supersized time.

    I didn't see the first practice...I need my beauty sleep!!. Going on what I saw during second practice I think it's going to be another tactical (tyre) race. I see that Pirelli are threatening to quit for next year if they're not allowed to do some testing.
    Prediction:- Vettel (disappearing into the smog!) Hamilton, Grosjean (steady race again!) Webber (if he has some luck?) and watch out for Kimi, he's always there waiting to pick up some points.
    I wonder if the camera man who was on the Kite was the same one who tracked the Williams' wheel nut?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tut, tut Trevor. When you see the size of one those footie players without all the padding, then see their speed off the line of scrumage you soon realise without all the body padding there would be some nasty injuries, it's a lot more tactical then most people realise to be fair too, I shall do my best to upsize my belly on Sunday :o)
    Bye, Bye Pirrelli look at the wear on them tyres, awful! Though if the drivers drove on the track in all of the corners it might help too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a good day at the footy.
    The Buzzard is wonderful. It's good to see one close to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully Wembley will have the roof closed, it looks like it needs to be closed.
    The Buzzard caught me out as it was even lower then in the image, it was landing in those trees behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the Shrike situation, Doug. That's a great Moorhen shot! Nothing shoddy about the other two either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, the shrike has annoyed me, always another chance, hopefully

      Delete
  6. Nice shot of the Buzzard Doug.
    After that descriptive description of your yank footie gear, I think you need to treat us to a picture now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, sorry no photo of me though :o)

      Delete
  7. I like the moorhen photo! Another quite overlooked bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd isn't Lou how some birds get overlooked yet Moorhens and Coots can provide some spectacular action shots at times.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. all is! just haven't been able to get out for a few months due to work and stuff! need to get some shots of the migrating birds soon though!

      Delete