Thursday, 28 November 2013

NOTHING TO SEE HERE...MOVE ALONG PLEASE

 Every know and again you wish secretly you were Dr.Doolittle, just so every now and again you can ask an animal "what you doing". The above image of a Black Headed Gull was one of those moments. They love this little bridge, perching for long periods if the sun decides to come out (fat chance) or cracking the shells of snails, but this one just stood there on the bridge in this pose for about ten minutes, it would have been longer and I got bored and wanted to cross the bridge in question...any suggestions?
My boss (not my girlfriend but work boss) has relented after much complaining from everyone over the the switch of work patterns and I should be back on the beloved 4 days on/off  by next Thursday...just as well too because every weekend since we swapped back to a 5 day week it's been grim just look at those grey skies on the Buzzard shot below and at the same time remember I had to tweak the exposure a lot just to get some sort of usable image.
I've managed a bit of birding but no photography, mostly walking on foot and mostly concentrated down the Nene, getting off the bus at Earls Barton walking down the Nene towards Ecton or heading the other way towards Summer Leys. One bird that really stood for me was the numbers of Marsh Tits along here and have itchy shutter fingers waiting for some decent weather also a pair of Kingfishers disputing a fishing perch was, the Buzzard was taken near the A45 when I was walking towards Ecton it was circling to petrol station and perched on a lamp post near the entrance...I guess a good place to wait for some roadkill.

 On one of the walks I almost got mugged by a pack of dogs out hunting, I can't remember the last time I saw a hunt, even a man like myself who is used to large numbers of dogs it's still a bit unsettling being around so many excited dogs, but no harm and an extremely friendly bunch...so wish my pockets didn't smell of dog treats though, big mistake.
 So my only images I got in the last two weekends is Black Headed Gulls.....


 Thank god for gulls and the much anticipated switch back to continental shift patterns.

10 comments:

  1. It's good to see you are back on Continental shifts.
    It's even better to see the Blackheaded Gulls. Amazing shots.
    I've no idea what the one on the bridge is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Adrian, that gull did make me wonder, very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent set of images Douglas, expertly plucked from the dark!
    The first image is a cracker, maybe it's having an identity crisis and thinks it's a Cormorant?
    The reflection image I like too.
    More time for photography now that your back on a 'proper' shift pattern then?..can't be bad!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor, it is a good impression of a cormorant :o)
      Yeah hopefully the proper shift pattern should mean more time with the camera, fingers crossed.

      Delete
    2. I agree, fantastic images of our humble BH Gull ... I think the one on the bridge is thinking he's batman!

      Delete
    3. Cheers Tim, it ould be great to see a little Robin in the frame too :o)

      Delete
  4. You've certainly made the most of the poor light, Doug. Shows what can be done with a bit of expertise! I just love the gull flight images, but the reflection shot is the one that does it for me! None of these would have worked as well (except, perhaps for the Buzzard) in 'good' light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, it's one of the things I like about gulls, they're in plenty of supply and make for good practise and if you bugger the images up, no big deal as there is another gull flying along.

      Delete
  5. Black headed gulls still make for a great photo. Your photos prove that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, they're great test subjects.

      Delete