Tuesday, 12 November 2013

ODDS AND SODS.

The weekend was a wash out, so no photography for me, and I hate saying that now I'm working a regular working shift pattern (Mon-Fri) instead of 4 days on/off, it's really sucks!
I watched in anger at the Moto GP, the anger from yet another sport being stolen by some horrible little old man, poor old BBC they'll be showing wrestling and scrabble at this rate, still won't subscribe to the old geezers satelite channel
I saw the weather today and whilst driving was glad I had stuffed my civvy clothes in the locker my shift couldn't end quick enough..well it would if I wasn't limited to 56 m.p.h, got back, got changed and figured I had about three hours before the sun disappeared, a quick look at the bird reports showed all the best birds were elsewhere so headed for Summer Leys
 On the way to the reserve two Red Kites were gliding/hunting one of the fields but never drifted close, the pathway to the Paul Britain hide had nothing but a dunnock, I stood overlooking the main lake and watched the Lapwings coming in, tried a few flock shots but wasn't what I was after for flock shot wise...I'm really trying hard to get the moment they all flee a predator, speaking off which I did see a male Sparrowhawk and a female Kestrel, the Sparrowhawk seemed keen on two species, some Fieldfare and the big'ish flock of Linnets and Greenfinches alongside one of the fields. It was good hearing the Fieldfare again I counted about twenty.
Since I only had a few hours to spare I headed for where I could visibly see a lot of activity, which was Mary's Lane.
As you might be able to make out from the image below there was a lot of small birds flocking in out of the trees and hedgerow, mostly Linnets, but there was good number of Greenfinches and Goldfinches, a few Bullfinches too and the odd Fieldfare
 I did have time to go to the feeding station but headed for the Linnets instead, the lane wasn't very busy with cars and was glad I did go to the lane, tried and failed on the Fieldfare, wouldn't sit still but stumbled across three Chiff-Chaffs, huh November and I'm photographing Chiff Chaffs! the below images were my best efforts.

Now the next images I was really happy watching this Willow Tit, but slightly gutted the light wasn't in my favour but also gutted they weren't quite as good (in focus/sharp) as I would've liked....BUT considering there wasn't much I could do about the light plus all I wanted to do this evening was stretch my legs and try breathing fresh air rather then diesel fumes I was happy just to watch the tit feeding off some teasels....though secretly I was happy with the sequence of shots....another on going picture project, reasons why I wasn't too happy with the images form the captions.
THIS ONE THE TEASEL BLOCKING THE BIRDS HEAD

AGAIN THE BIRDS HEAD BEING BLOCKED

OK, THIS ONE HAS THE BIRD FEEDING AROUND FOR SOME SEED BUT THE UNDERWING WAS BLOWN OUT...GUTTED


I moved around for the last shot to use the direction of the fading light, sadly the birds back is a little blown out, but ok'ish it's the birds head again though, just a little more upright in position and I would've been over the moon, instead I was just happy. Still it was the best way to kill a few hours that I know of.....

10 comments:

  1. It's a grand sequence. The last one is fine.
    It's a shame about the MotoGP. I'll miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last one isn't bad but is down to personal tatse, I always like to see the eye of the bird, bit picky I know. The MotoGP is more then a shame it's a crime, I hate it when a sport is ignored by a subscribtion channel and one channel just promotes it and brings new fans to the sport then have it snatched away because it's "popular".

      Delete
  2. I'd be very happy with those tit shots Doug.

    One of these days I just might bump into you at Summer Leys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think and I might be wrong that we have bumped into each other at summerleys, it was a while back feb/march before I had seen an image of you, you had some dogs with you and we were stood on the pathway talking about "three wheelers"...though it could be someone else, knowing me

      Delete
  3. Fantastic shots Doug! I would be very happy with them indeed, but I see what you mean about the head being slightly obstructed. We can always strive to take better photos :) I also love the heron image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, was hoping the teasel heads wouldn't get in the way but sadly they did, well worth watching it hover "kestrel" style though. The heron was weird, it flew out of the river onto the bank and kept looking down in the water, something spooked it.

      Delete
  4. I doubt that was me Doug.
    I lost my dog last year, and I've only been a couple of times this year. 30th January I was there with Trevor and Adrian, but I'm sure we'd have remembered each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rather more than 'Odds & Sods' here Doug! That's a pretty amazing crop of images for a winter's afternoon! That last one is a real classic, but they're all ones that I'd have been absolutely delighted with if they were mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, though for me the bird of the day was an unseasonable Chiff-Chaff, it actually stunned me when I saw it...

      Delete