Wednesday, 6 November 2013

OUTRIGHT THEFT-SORRY FINDLAY-THE ANSWERS

In good "internet" style I'm stealing one of Findlay's ideas with just enough of a change to avoid any legal issues and having a "WEDNESDAY QUIZ" question....
When I finished work and was drifting between insomnia and comatose on the sofa last night I was watching some Pointless quiz programme (handy name as it was pointless) when they came up with a birding question that had me stumped and spouting feathers from my mouth, and I wanted to see if it was just me or had they got a question completely wrong....now I won't reveal where they got their answers from to prevent any smarty pants from cheating, the question was "Name any species of Owl found in the UK", easy peasy I thought and the contestants had to name the least popular to win the point and here comes the part that had me spitting feathers " there are nine to choose from", NINE!!
"Oh and you can't have Eagle Owl"...bugger, NINE, "calm down Dougie" said my girlfriend, "But there isn't nine"
So the question is for you guys to name all nine species of owls, I got seven, the other two really got me angry...GOOD LUCK, I'll print the answers later tonight once I calmed down a bit and print the name of the source the quiz programme used.....
Well, I've published the result via the comments, Trevor was close and but Richard Pegler was spot on. I have to admit I had seven until the presenter said "no to eagle owl", I didn't put Scop's Owl in until I was struggling, why no to Scops, well some "birders" told me I couldn't count any birds on Jersey as it ain't British nor is the Isle of Man...but you can the Scilliy Isles, I love "proper" birders, the list apparently was published by the B.O.U (British Ornitholigst Union...do they ever go on strike?) To me the Hawk Owl was the biggest eyebrow raiser as was the Tengmalms Owl, has anyone been lucky to see these two?

16 comments:

  1. Douglas, there are lot's more than seven. Mr and Mrs Long eared Owl, ditto Short eared. Mr Barn Owl, Mrs Little Owl, Tawny Owl.
    Seriously I only know of five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cheating, but I like your thinking :o)

      Delete
  2. Tough one. I can think of 5; and if I can't have Eagle Owl to make 6, can I have Snowy?
    Still 3 short. Hmmmm. I've a DVD that has 13 European Owls on it, so it must be amongst them.
    Look forward to the revelation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at Eagle Owl considering the other owls on the list, it's really dodgy list in my opinion

      Delete
  3. I too managed seven without reference, but now know what the other two are. As someone who professes to have an interest in owls, I felt a little silly at this lack of knowledge. One of these I suspected, but the other was news to me. Will add more after you publish, rather than spoil it for anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just seen that you will only publish our replies later, so - other than the six 'obvious' ones, I got Scops, suspected Tengmalm's, and was surprised by Hawk. My source of confirmation was Collins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Richard, I think both the Hawk and Tengmalm's Owl really, really surprised me

      Delete
  5. Hmmm! I usually watch that program, but I missed it last night.

    I'm afraid I could only come up with seven, and two of those are a bit sketchy!

    Barn
    Tawny
    Long-Eared
    Short-Eared
    Little
    and...
    Snowy (Shetlands and Highlands)
    Scops (vagrant)

    It'll be interesting to see the answers...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a repeat on Challenge TV due to the level of dross on normal tv channels, that's the seven I got too Trevor, just two more to go :o)

      Delete
  6. I won't publish Richards comment just yet as he got all nine, smarty pants, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TEA Towl and BATH Towl must be the missing two!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see the nest boxes for those two :o)

      Delete
  8. So full list of nine was Snowy, Barn, Tawny, Little, Short eared, Long eared, Scops, Hawk and Tengmalms Owls, very well done to Richard, all owl questions to him in future all :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. But can you name a song with each of them in the title ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all of them...but here goes: There's a Halloween song I remember from a kid when I lived in America called Brown Owl or as Europeans call it Tawny Owl, there is a folk band called Barn Owl and Cypress Hill a dodgy rap group had a song title with an owl in it, can't remember it though and then there's a nursery rhyme called 5 Little Owls that goes:
      Fluffy and puffy as one could be
      Blinking and winking with big round eyes
      At the big round moon that hangs in the skies
      As I passed underneath I could hear one say
      "There be a mouse for dinner there will be today"
      Then all of them hooted
      "Tu Whit,Tu-wuh"
      Yes mouse for super-hoo-hoo,hoo-hoo
      Ok I had to google that one and I got a feeling it might be a Tawny :o)

      Delete
  10. Great idea for a post. Sometimes I catch that program but have never heard an owl question! I definitely wouldn't have got all 9. I probably would have only got 5!

    ReplyDelete