Thursday, 12 December 2013

BONUS BIRDING.

I managed despite the fog to finish early yesterday, 12:45 to be precise but then I did have a very early start. I had fog the whole day. And despite patchy fog as soon as I got home I jumped in the shower and grabbed the camera and headed off to Summer Leys, I figured a few hours out was better then sitting on my backside watching dross on TV.
I went and checked the scrape, a few Tufted Ducks and Shoveller and a pair of Grey Wagtails, there was also a Green Sandpiper calling from the corner of the scrape and was flushed off towards Grendon Lakes by the shepherd looking after her sheep, I also got into a bit of a "debate" with some old boy who excitedly told me about the Great White Egret, I looked and told him it was a Little Egret, this bloke wasn't having any of it mind, it was promptly flushed by the shepherd and flew towards me and despite the fog and gloom got the image below of a LITTLE EGRET...idiot! But the ol'boy was still telling me it was a Great White and "you haven't even got binoculars"....guess I don't need them!
 The Buzzard was from Monday.......
 As I headed towards the feeding station I could hear loads of Linnet's and could occasionally see them along the lane alongside Pete Wild's field in Mary's Lane.

 I crossed the little wooden bridge and tried my best to sneak up to a small flock feeding in/on the lane, but with all them eyes watching me I had no chance....
 The flock split into two, one flock circa 100 birds flew into the setaside in the field next to the reserve the other flock circa 120 settled into the bushes near Pete's Lake, if you count the birds in the frame it's about 120 (undercount), you can see it was bit foggy!
 Sadly the fog increased by the time I got the feeding station and had next to no shutter speed, I was shooting at an aperture of f/4 just to keep the shutter speed up so didn't have a nice depth of field on the birds, it was mostly common birds sadly it seems as though the Great Tits are still covered in ticks and a Blue Tit with no tail was also spotted.
Still it beats sitting indoors.

15 comments:

  1. That's a great Egret shot Douglas...er? no!...ermm!..no!...I mean...that's a cracking first shot Douglas, worth going out for.
    Old folks can be very annoying sometimes, and I should know...I am one..lol. It's best to just smile and humour us we'll be happy then.
    Beautiful shots of the Blue Tits and the Reed Bunting. I reckon you'll have to go into ultra stealth mode to get those Linnets!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is Trevor I normally don't mind old folk, I can and normally do get on with most people but this ol'boy was just a real grump...oh well tis the season I suppose.
      Them linnets will see through my disguise even fog didn't help me out :o)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi doug. having seen the large finch flock at close quarters in the bushes on the reserve, apart from linnet and greenfinch, theres twite among them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Al, that's interesting, I always scan large flocks for other species, I'm 80% certain a Corn Bunting was in there too (there has been previous records) but didn't get a long enough vie to confirm it...but you don't confuse a corn bunting with anything else really, as for the Twite I shall have too look harder as all I saw was 1st winter Linnets. It's always good to see large flocks of birds but you always have nagging doubt that you missed something mixed within it, thank you, I shall have another look :o)

      Delete
  4. corn bunting would be interesting doug considering their severe decline. my last sighting was late 70s when they were fairly common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one few years back at Bempton Cliffs it was such a rare treat I ignored the Gannetts!

      Delete
  5. smashing egret Doug, I never got anything like all the time I was in Spain! As for the finches, yep always worth checking but always tricky when they're in flight (tis for me anyway!) and then just as tricky if they all land in muddy field about 400yds away!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tim, you made up for missed egret shots with the Black Shouldered Kite and all them cranes:o)
      The Linnets and other finches were doing the same to me, kept vanishing into the hedgerow

      Delete
  6. Great set of images, Doug, but I particularly like your flight images. That flock is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should hear the flock it's pretty impressive and loud

      Delete
  7. Nice Egret shot Doug.
    Was over Summer Leys with Trevor the other day, and that Linnet flock were flying round then. Greenfinch and Goldies were the only others I noticed with them. Good to see such big numbers though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I forgot to mention the Greenfinches, a lot of them too which is really good, the Goldfinches weren't playing ball though

      Delete
  8. You are the master of birds in flight. A great shot of the Little Egret.

    ReplyDelete