Monday, 2 December 2013

BRAMBLING AND YELLOWHAMMER

I couldn't get out Saturday and Sunday the ever reliable Met Office told me it would be cloudy (the same Met Office which has warned us of 3 months of really cold and snowy weather this winter!!) so I had two surprises for me 1:Sun 2:Coal Tit on the feeder in the garden, so I rushed for my camera and headed out before the sun vanished....BIG MISTAKE. I hadn't checked the local bird reports and seen there was a pair of Long Tail Ducks up at Summer Leys/Mary's Lake and had decided to go for the Bramblings at Harrington, to be honest I should have turned around and gone for the ducks.
 The Bramblings were about...eventually, problem was every time they flew in (circa 5 but more were around) and they grew in confidence and ventured down someone would walk pass sending them back up into the trees I grabbed a "desperate" shot below and isn't too good but sadly it was the best I could manage, I shall try again but on a quiter day I think. Still at least there were plenty of Yellowhammers here.
 I was kindly pointed in the general direction of another bird I wanted to see and that was a Stonechat, not a rarity by any stretch but one bird I hardly see wintering in this county anymore. I got some good direction from a fellow birder at Harrington but on arriving at the site got a bit confused to exactly where. However I saw a Eleanor who kindly pointed out where the Stonechat was and I waited for the bird to come close sadly not close enough for a photo. But got see the bird.
Now one thing that had me puzzled was Maidwell/Blueberry Farm, sadly no Short eared Owls on my visit and I have to wonder if some will turn up this winter. All the fields around the farm have been cut down, some of the fields have small patches of long grass in parts and one has been completely chopped down including the big hill behind the farm, can any Northants birders tell me is this just habitat management or are we loosing an owl site? I'm not sure why but I look at it and think Pheasant Shoot, hopefully I'm wrong but a quick check around Blueberry itself does really have me wondering....hopefully I'm getting worried about nothing, any info?

6 comments:

  1. It is very warm for the time of year.
    All your effort and i still like the Gull the best it looks great against the autumn colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Common Gull was an inspired shot similar to those Keith had done with the trees reflecting on the surface, couldn't manage them but got it banking against the trees..thanks to Keith for the inspiration

      Delete
  2. Pleased you managed a shot of the Brambling, Doug, even if you were hoping for better. I got my first one of this winter on Sunday - at Calke Park - but it was one solitary bird and it only stopped for about 20 seconds.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you with the SEOs at Blueberry Farm. I'm intending to check out the SEO situation locally to me tonight. Not been there to look so far this winter. Time I got off my a-se, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we'll see SEO's at Blueberry this year, just a gut feeling. I was a bit gutted about the Bramblings, they do come down to seed on the ground, I hope you get them in your garden this winter.

      Delete
  3. No LTD's or Stonechat Douglas, but you still managed to get these three cracking shots.
    I do hope that your Owl site is only being 'managed' and (surely) not destroyed? ...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my first day off is Thursday so I'm hoping the LTD's will still be around.
      The land at Maidwell is leased by the Hawk and Owl Trust and there were whispers the lease was coming to an end, not 100% certain on the situation but it does look like management...but I am clueless when in it comes to "habitat management"..

      Delete