Tuesday, 17 December 2013

EASTFIELD PARK GOOSANDERS

I've said it before and I'll say it again I LOVE continental shift patterns and a grumpy boss who insists we have to use up all our holidays before 5th January, apparently some people hoard the days up and carry over a lot of holiday entitlement, not sure why the boss got grumpy with this arrangement but today I really hacked him off, with careful planning and the shift pattern plus bank holidays means I'm not back into work until the 6th January....HAPPY NEW YEAR LOL.
After ducking the hurled stapler I opted to take the hounds for a stretch over my local park, Eastfield Park, not massive as regular readers are aware (40 acres approximately in size) some wooded areas and what was an ornamental lake that once belonged to Mansfield House (big stately home). The previous day I had counted 16 Goosanders on the small lake, so I took the 300mm f2.8 and x2 teleconverter with me.






 I counted a total of 18 Goosanders on there at the moment, a little shy of my current record of 23. They normally stay until the lake freezes over then vanish and normally not seen again until the following winter. Still not bad for a lake on the middle of a housing estate. I also found for the first time a Treecreeper, quite common but I've never seen one on the park before so a new species to add to the list, weirdly though I couldn't find any of the Song Thrushes, we had 2 breeding pairs in the summer so I'm not sure where they've gone...probably a mini-migration south.
So weather permitting I've got a long stretch of "me" time to do some birding, what's that heavy snow,wind,thunder and tornado's forecasted!

10 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Doug, but where's the feet? I particularly like the fourth image, but they're all crackingly good.

    That's a pretty long break ahead of you! I hope the weather holds up and you manage to take full advantage of it. Just in case I'm not in touch for a while, have a great Christmas, and all the best for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Richard, I did get one scratching it's head but it was a bit soft so sadly no feet, but I now have plenty of time to try and get one to satisfy by foot obsession.
    Regardless of the weather I'm going to enjoy this welcomed break, my boss was left with egg on his face :o), have a Great Xmas and New Year too Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure you won't get bored with all that time off? lol

    Beautiful pictures Doug of a beautiful bird. You had some excellent light too.
    I always look forward to seeing these at my local too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah I won't get bored lol.
      I think one of the things that helped on the images was the reflection of the reedbed on the surface of the lake, nice bird to have 500 metres from your front door.

      Delete
  4. Stunning set of images Douglas, beautiful birds in perfect light, superb!

    Should we be offering congratulations or commiserations now that you've 'come out' about having a foot fetish!!?

    Enjoy your cunningly worked long holiday...you do know that bosses can sometimes be very vindictive people with long memories?...lol...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Trevor, yeah I like Goosanders, I think it's the "punk-rock" stlye headgear that does it for me, talking of which my foot fetish is for our avian friends...honest:o)
    My boss is generally sound bloke (he reads this from time to time) but yes I agree some can be vindictive etc however I would hate to leave my handbrake of my lorry off whilst parked in front of his lovely shiny F-Type, just in case he's reading this lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Anne I don't publish comments featuring links, sorry.

      Delete
  7. Have a really good break.
    I was looking for Goosander on the Tees but they don't seem to be around this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know whats been going on I remember replying to this post.

    ReplyDelete