Sunday, 19 January 2014

ON THE WAY HOME

Today on the way back from work I took a detour and wanted to see how a female Kestrel was doing,
The last time I photographed her the top bill was damaged. A subsequent visit I saw her hunting, there was about a week's gap between the two sightings. I was finished from work quite early today due to an even earlier start it was reasonably bright and not too windy so there was a good chance of seeing her, I wanted an image to see if the damaged bill was healed or healing etc.
There is tow definate areas she hunts and perches up and I turned down the lane heading to the farm and she was in her usual part of the hedge, my windows already down I just switched the engine off and gently rolled to a decent range of her, now the last time I photographed the bird she didn't move much and took loads of images, today she was her usual self and almost instantly took off to her other perch, I got 6 frames which tells you how long she stayed for.
 The bill looks ok, there's a little damage still where the dark grey section of the bill meets the upper light grey'ish part, but definately a lot better and it has to be said healthier and more "flighty"..as she should be.
I left her on her second perch as I only wanted some images so I could have a really close inspection of the bill via a computer screen. I'm happy, she should be OK.

12 comments:

  1. She looks stunning in these Doug.
    After recent reports of how they are in decline, it's good to know there are still some in places that are doing well. Beautiful little hunters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad they're on a slight decline,still we seem to have a few really good spots from them in Northants. I too never tire of watching them hunt.

      Delete
  2. Douglas, it's good to see that she's on the mend and doing well.

    btw, That was a cracking set of images of the GWE on your previous post...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor, the state of the damage on her bill I doubted she would be around, tuff little madam.

      Delete
  3. Great to see she is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, she's a bird I go to when I just have a short time to photograph something as she always in the same field and lane and easy to locate and she's young too.

      Delete
  4. That's great news, Doug. If you give her a name I think it should be 'Toffeeapple'!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toffeeapple was better then mine, I was thinking Candyfloss :o) She's a little poser.

      Delete
  5. Sorry I have been so absent from blog reading! These are super shots! She looks a little precarious doesn't she! I'm glad her bill is on the mend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Lou I know you've been very busy of late. I often wonder how she manages to perch on the hedgerow as she does even when it's windy. I saw her today succesfully hunting so it keeps improving

      Delete