Thursday, 27 February 2014

GREAT CRESTED GREBE WEED DANCE

Spring must be around the corner, I've seen three of the four "indicators of spring" so far. The first being distant hares chasing each other around, the second is unique to my garden a male Dunnocks sits on my fence performs a song and dance on the fence before flying to my living room window and just hovering I think it see's his own reflection and is more a threat posture, the third is Great Crested Grebe's displaying to each other the fourth is when my garden birds start taking loose dog hairs for their nests.
Yesterday I got a pair of Grebe's doing their weed display but it almost didn't happen, there was alot of head tossing, chest to chest contact and tapping of the bill, below is a selection of such behaviour.



But no weed dance, then of one the birds with a bit of weed swam over to the bank where a nest structure of sorts was taking shape, the other bird watched on, the bird that came over to the bank was calling as it swam back over to the other bird and both when close together dived..this should be it I thought and got ready.



 It was a bit distant and not as long as a display, it was a bit half hearted....perhaps they're waiting for their own " spring indicators".

6 comments:

  1. Great Douglas. I've never seen them do it in real life. It is very silly but it does have a charm all of it's own. The Mallard is more effective but his courtship always looks like rape to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian it really is a charm especially when it's the full "weed dance" it always reminds me of Riverdance...ot maybe lakedance, sorry.
      I shall never be able to look at Mallards in the same light now, you're right though :O)

      Delete
  2. Spring is definitely in the air Douglas, 'my garden' Blackbird, after a week or so of aimless burbling has just started to string a song together, only problem is he starts at around 5 every morning!!
    Lovely images of the Grebes doing their thing, at least you eventually got the whole show, the ones I was watching the other day lost interest half way through!! It really is a fascinating display to see...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definately spring is coming, though in true Brit Style it's due/meant to snow a little tonight and tommorow!
    Sadly it wasn't the full length show it was over in seconds, and there was many false starts I read your blog post and thought "yep that was what my grebe's did most of the time"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great images, Doug, of something that always brings joy to the heart. I've seen (and photographed) this a few times at Rutland Water. I was privileged last year to see Slav Grebes doing the same.

    Our garden Blackbirds are nest-building too - tugging at anything that looks to be remotely useable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see Slav's doing it, I think Great Northern Divers are supposed to do it too but I might be confused on that one.
      I still can't believe how many Blackbirds I still have in my garden, they're still chasing the females around though

      Delete