Monday, 3 February 2014

SUMMER LEYS 02-02-14

Two days booked off for the Super Bowl meant I had a really nice and sunny walk around Earls Barton gravel pits, though it was muddy and wet under foot still.
MALE CHAFFINCH, NOT HAPPY WITH THE WINGS BLOCKED BY BRANCHES BUT FEEL IT HAS SOME MERIT
 I got the baulk of my photo's from the feeding station. I wanted to get some small birds flight shots, however I found the Bullfinches very distracting, with 2 males and 3 females coming onto the feeding tables. When I arrived I thought I saw a Brambling vanish into the hedge some hard looking and waiting provided nil result.
BULLFINCH MALE.

BULLFINCH MALE, NOT ON FEEDER
 However it came back onto the feeding table, sadly it would fly into the hedge and fly straight back to the feeding table, almost sneakily trying it's best not to be noticed so the only images I got were on the feeding table, the little minx, I don't really like my images with birds on feeders, I reckon this might be the bird I saw back in December just a short stone's throw away from the feeding station hence the reason for posting it for now.
BRAMBLING, INSPIRATIONAL FEEDING TABLE SHOT (NOT)
Anyhow the previous nights windy weather and the still flooded ground had provided me with a unique chance at some flight shots, if you think Chaffinched are common and a boring subject either look away now or have look at some flight shots.
FEMALE CHAFFINCH

REFLECTIVE LIGHT WAS TRICKY TO JUDGE
 To carry on my obsession of feet and sequence shots, below is a male Chaffinch, sadly only 6 frames of which 3 were in focus, very tricky indeed, but fun, not that everyone around in the feeding station agreed, it sounded like the Battle of the Somme, in there.


 Not that it seemed to bother the Chaffinches, taking advantage of the seed spilt from the tables into the water, it was like watching a hybrid of a Kestrel and a Kingfisher, only difference being there was a load of them around so I filled my boots and took loads, flight shots are a percentage game. The below shot is my favourite as it clearly shows the male Chaffinch just about to grab the seed, GREAT FUN.

I gave up my seat to a youngster who came in and what I thought was a nice gesture someone lent the youngster their binoculars, well done that man.
I walked around Mary's Lake, the two Long Tailed Ducks were with a male Smew (the best looking duck in my opinion) and a Peregrine, also saw a Meadow Pipit, Redkite and a couple of Buzzards oh and Mark who gave me an idea for my next odd's and sod's post where I'll ask you to try an ID something that was "hanging around", that'll be on Tuesday, I think.
Something else that caught my eye was this....
It sits on the hill at the end of Great Doodington, next to Wellingborough prison, it's a solar farm...it's fucking massive my image was a third of the site you see in the picture, there's a handy bloke and houses for scale. Mind you it did provide a very good joke about oven cooked Swans from Mark, wonder how many homes that'll power then?

8 comments:

  1. Douglas you are the master at this. The two female Chaffinch shots with reflections are almost incredible. I bet you didn't use a strobe either.
    The best I've ever seen are these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian, i tried replying last night but the reply button didn't want to work, bloomin' blogger.
      I was thinking about flashguns etc for wooded areas and how it would help etc but it seems to divide bird photographers in this country so finding out more has been a chore.
      I wouldn't know where to start with a stobe...I'd probably electrocute myself anyway lol

      Delete
  2. Cracking set of images Douglas. As Adrian says, you really are a master of your art. Those Chaffinch/water shots are just superb.
    But...I have a request!...please can you post some rubbish shots now and again as I'm getting rather disillusioned when comparing my best efforts to your, even self proclaimed mediocre, shots?....Only joking, keep on doing what you're doing, your images are always a pleasure to see...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor, I was lucky when it comes to flight shots, when I first started many years ago I had Richard Bedford and my mate Ben who were obsessed with flight shots so I had some good mentors to get help from. I really do think flight work is 50% practise and more practise 50% knowing what a bird might do next...trust me I got plenty of "pants" shots....odds n sods coming soon lol

      Delete
  3. Doug, you've raised the bar here. Superb set of the Chaffinch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith it was great fun trying for these also very entertaining

      Delete
  4. WOW! I really enjoy seeing your flight sequence images and these are absolutely fantastic! The lighting, the reflections - beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lou I was just blessed with one of those chances when everything came together it was odd watching them feeding off the surface of the water, I've never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete