Friday, 7 February 2014

SUMMER LEYS LNR 07-02-14

I heard the rain pelting down on my window early this morning, I think the alarm clock said 2am so I wasn't holding my breath when I pulled the curtains back when I awoke.
To my surprise it was actually very bright and sunny, so I grabbed my camera and left the dogs behind and headed up to Summer Leys.
The rain I had heard earlier in the morning had an effect, the water level on the main lake was up to the Screen hide lapping against the wood, weirdly the only water ingress at the moment was on the left handside of the hide where there is a gap, somehow and for now the rest of the hide is waterproof, the lake had also topped over and the section of footpath leading to the feeding station and the area behind the feeding station.
THE WALK DOWN TO THE FEEDING STATION, IT'S DEEP TOO UP TO THE TOPS OF MY WELLIES
 The Golden Plover looked great in the sunlight, healthy numbers too though they are running out of dry areas.
The feeding station had absolutely no birds, there was no food in the feeders nor on the tables understandable when it so deep in water. So a quick walk to May's Lake where there was a male Smew and just one Long Tailed Duck.
I managed a female Goldeneye shot, I really want the male of the species in flight however a female will do for now, the back of Mary's Lake is flooding into the bigger lake make access pretty hard going and slippery.

8 comments:

  1. Investing in a boat seems like it might be a good idea at the moment Douglas?
    Cracking shot of the Goldeneye...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind one of those amphibian vehicles you see on the Thames :o)

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful shot even if it is the wrong sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,they're a nice duck in flight but the males look even better if I get one in flight I'll explain more.

      Delete
  3. A great shot of the Goldeneye, Doug.

    I fancy one of the quads that featured on Top Gear last night - 40 mph on land and much more than that on water! If you didn't see it, try and find it on catchup!

    Just catching up with blogger after an extremely wet and windy week in Dorset. Didn't manage any birding at all!

    P.S. Reference your comment on Findlay's blog, I don't know how far away you are, and can't guarantee it's a regular occurrence, but I saw a fabulous murmuration of Starlings on Friday - where the Leicester outer ring road (A46) heading east becomes the A46 proper heading north at the lights near Thurmaston. they were north-west of the junction. Not sure where you can park to watch it (maybe from near Cossington), but I'll probably be out there one day soon trying to catch it on camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard
      I saw that quad too how did Clarkson not fall in..no justice, but I'd rather have the Mclaren:o)
      I'll keep my eyes peel for them starlings as I'm often travelling out that way during work hours, thank you.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, I really like the male though in flight it has some nice patterns on it's wings.

      Delete