Tuesday, 25 March 2014

WHEN FOX MET MUNTJACK

I haven't posted a proper record shot for ages now so thought I'd share three images that fall into the record category.
I was driving down to a friends house via a country lane with very tall vegetation, when I saw what I initially thought was two foxes grazing, thinking it would make a nice image I reversed the car back and did my best to shoot through the hedgerow, to my surprise it was actually a fox and muntjack grazing side by side in harmony, not knowing much about muntjack I thought it would be on the menu for a fox. Sadly the reversing car had spooked the fox as you can see from the first image, though it did give me a cheeky look back in the second image


Apart from the last image you can see how much "hedgerow" I was shooting through. I was surprised to see the pair together happily grazing and no it's not scar marks on the back of the muntjack, I think either mainge or it's moulting

16 comments:

  1. I am surprised they get on so well too. Love the eyes in the last two shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too Sarah, I honestly thought it was too foxes grazing and was baffled at what I saw

      Delete
  2. Well spotted Douglas, it's a shame the Fox did a runner, you need a quieter reverse gear!!
    I don't think Foxes take things as big as Muntjac, maybe if it was of the carrion variety perhaps?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a quieter car to be fair Trevor lol.
      I was wondering if a fox would snatch a muntjac because it's not much bigger then an adult sheep just bulkier, makes you wonder how many times a fox is seen eating a sheep if it was carrion too.

      Delete
    2. Douglas, I've never known a fox take a sheep. They will take sick lambs but that is rare.

      Delete
    3. My friend Stuart last year suffered 4 sheep deaths that were either caused by a fox or a dog, but in all the cases of death they occured overnight so we were hedging our bets it was a fox, occasionally especially during the lambing season you might get a very hungry/desperate fox, Stuart gets angry at the loss as he has had a very hard few years with diseases but he still won't take a gun to the fox that patrols his fields, he's good like that.

      Delete
  3. Now that is a surprise! I guess a Muntjac can outrun a Fox, and they're not competing for food. You did really well to capture that amazing scene Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The muntjac seemed quite relaxed and when the fox went off was looking around for the fox the new "odd couple" perhaps

      Delete
  4. Interesting photos! We never seen muntjack in the wild.
    Greetings from Poland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The muntjac sadly is an escapee in this country Dzial, some escaped from a local wildlife park/zoo nearby and some were bred for shooting/food etc and have become a bit of a pest

      Delete
  5. Three good environmental shots Doug; or whatever the word is.
    Something a lot of people would never see.
    What a shame people can't get on as well as animals seem to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lesson in there isn't Keith. Thanks

      Delete
  6. A great sight to see but it does seem a little strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very odd and left me scratching my head, glad I had my camera with me

      Delete
  7. Incredible images!!! I bet this is a first ever of these two species at such close quarters to each other? But be careful whilst driving and looking into the fields at the same time (I do it all the while) otherwise you may end up in a ditch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I've had few close calls with "soft verges" and the odd curb or two.
      It was very odd seeing the two together

      Delete