Thursday, 6 March 2014

WOT NO BIRDS? CRUFTS

I really should get round to some birding, I do have four days off starting Friday, hopefully some time soon the water levels up at Summer Leys should be dropped, if it hasn't been done already and personally I can't wait to see how the reprofiled scrape fairs, fingers crossed for both passage waders and breeding waders, however Friday is Crufts day for me.
We're taking two greyhounds, my sisters Whimmsy and my Mack which means I have to bath him which will mean I get a soaking..lovely. I was going to enter Jim my ol'faithful hound in the ex-racer section but thought better of it mostly down to costs.
I WILL NOT be doing the showing side of things, I'll leave that to my mum, I'll have to endure hundreds of people coming up and saying "hello" to my hounds patting and stroking them, sadly it's very rare I get "patted and stroked" by strangers so shall be very jealous.
My sisters Australian Shepherd "Boo" was there today, how did he get on, not sure still waiting to hear but giving his strong/boisterous nature probably not to well.
WHIMMSY 
How will we get on with our two hounds? Not sure about Mack, but Whimmsy she's a beauty so fingers crossed with her. Though it's going to be a long old day with an early start (5:30am) and a late end (hopefully)
I promise a more bird/nature related post next time.....probably. Now I'm not expecting many if any of my blog readers to be at Crufts but if you're reading this and are at Crufts come and say hello.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck Team McFarlane...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Trevor, it shall be a good day regardless of the result.

      Delete
  2. Good luck. I can't imagine taking mine.....it would be bloody chaos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adrian, your dogs would love it I can just imagine the ensuing chaos:o)

      Delete
    2. There is a lady here with a couple of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. She siz till yowre dugs to be careful theze are bred to kill lions. Mine don't seem to care they don't know what a lion is. The Ridgebacks are fine. They can run fast though. We meet them on our wanders and met them in the pub and one wanted to play. Both mine know not to get between a bloke and a pint Moll gave a growl and when it persisted it got a nip. Perfect they are. I just wish I could stop the little buggers chasing deer and in Alfs case expensive horses. Ducks and all birds other than Rooks they ignore. The same with sheep, goats and cattle They do come at full speed when I whistle; if they have nothing more important to do. They sit and wait outside shops, are good on public transport. It's just Deer, they can't resist them.

      If they went to Cruffs they would expect to be introduced to every dog in the place, same as they do in the countryside.

      Delete
    3. Funny thing is I always wanted a Rhoddy, there was one in a rescue centre but I saw this very old and very abused greyhound in the next kennel and they had planned to put the old boy down as he had so many scars etc no-one wanted him and my heart told me to take the greyhound. It wasn't only lions that Rhodesian were trained to kill, if you think about what Rhodesia is now called you'll understand what farmers of a certain skin pigment used them for! Kylie Minogue has one too.
      Not sure how my dog would react to deer to be honest

      Delete