Saturday, 19 April 2014

A RING OUZEL AND CHINA GP PREDICTIONS

I went out again by bike yesterday and explored some public footpaths and byways around my area. I decided I'd head towards Pitsford and Moulton as they were quite close to home and easy to get to by bike.
I was a bit gutted as for all my pedalling efforts the best I saw were a few Blackcaps, a male Kestrel chasing and catching Pied Wagtails, one new Little Owl site in a tree by the side of the road at Moulton College by the time I got my camera out of the bag the owl had fled into it's hole and never came out (swine) and a large white rabbit (I kid you not), I turned down Spectacle Lane from the college end, it can be a bit dodgy down here at times with yoof's smoking weed and fly tippers tipping their waste which is a shame as the hedgerow was buzzing with small common species plus a few Yellow Wagtails in the first ploughed field, three buzzards circling overhead, more Blackcaps, one solitary Swallow (still no Swifts!) and a nice Grey Wagtail at the ford.
I was pushing my bike (makes it easier to photograph) up the hill in the lane heading towards Spectacle Lodge when a fox ran across the lane, missed it but a quick glance into the field next to the Lodge I spotted a Ring Ouzel....record shot time as the bird never came close enough which was a shame.
Crap shot but seeing the bird made the bike ride a little more satisfying.
CHINA GP RACE PREDICTIONS
WET RACE
1st Daniel Riccardo
2nd Lewis Hamilton
3rd Seb
DRY RACE
1st LEWIS HAMILTON
2nd NICO ROSEBERG
3rd NICO HULKENBERG
As a curious side bet if you're that way inclined if Man.Utd loose to Everton put some money on David Moyes being sacked, I heard he's being sacked regardless of the result after this weekend!!

13 comments:

  1. I can see you in the Tour De France next year.
    Perhaps you going along ringing the bell is frightening the birds.
    I am going for Lewis, Nico R, Seb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only if the Tour de France is held on level ground or purely downhill then I might have a go :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one Ring Ouzel more than I've seen so far this year Doug.

    By the way, isn't it about time you revealed yourself in that picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pure luck I found it, I went left at a footpath interchange rather then right and it paid off, it makes you wonder how much goes pass on migration unspotted, I'd never found myself birding along this footpath had I not been on bike.

      Delete
    2. Sorry I forget to add I'm the one in the suit next to the lady in purple.

      Delete
    3. Aaaw! That's who I was going to pick next!... can I still have the fudge?...[;o)

      Delete
    4. I'll try and keep some to one side and hidden from my girlfriend....I promise.

      Delete
  4. I hope you weren't being a naughty boy and riding your bike down those FOOTpaths Douglas?
    Shame you missed the fox but that was a great find with the Ring Ouzel...I've not managed to see any so far this year [:- {

    F1...Wet Race:- Hamilton, Vettel, Bottas Dry Race:- Hamilton, Rosberg (I think Hamilton has 'broken' him, he admitted that he made mistakes by pushing to hard trying to beat Hamilton in qualifying!!) Ricciardo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the footpaths are were the birds are so I push the bike with camera in hand, unless it has a tasty looking downhill section. :o)
      I don't think we've seen the end of the Lewis v's Nico it's simmering up nicely it was interesting to hear Seb admitting he's been out performed by his team mate so far bet he wishes Mark was still in seat 2.

      Delete
  5. Well capptured, Doug! Not seen a Ring Ouzel yet this year. Probably missed my chance now as it looks as if my hoped-for visit to Scotland won't be happening.

    Best wishes - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a shame about your Scotland trip, still there's a few Ring Ouzels still floating around Northants so some might drop in on Leicester

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great find Doug, I too have been looking for a "self found" Ouzel as Richard has but no luck as yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, sorry for the late publishing of the comment, I've had some router issues and unable to connect to the net until today.

      Delete