Wednesday, 2 April 2014

"SO WHY NO PROPER BIRIDING OF LATE THEN DOUG" & WEDNESDAY QUIZ

Is one question I was asked recently, to be fair I thought I had but the person in question meant around Summer Leys etc....I think that's what he meant. But I had sadly, made a few bad judgement calls which meant the locations I had chose were a bit thin on the ground bird wise. I was really hoping to be doing a post of Yellowhammers sadly a field where I knew there were good numbers all the way up to Autumn last year had just one male bird calling forlornly to no other bird and it was distant and quiet depressing as I've always known this field at this time of the year to hold about 20 birds! I hope at least one other bird turns up to keep him happy.
The other reason I haven't been out and about is a lot of my spare time has been taking up with a course I had taken at the local college, which luckily ends this Friday hopefully freeing up some time, just in time for the wader season at Summer Leys, I hope.
The course (which isn't going to be named until I know I "passed", superstitious me) has been taking part up at Lower Mounts College, for those unaware of the geography of my home town of Northampton (lucky buggers) it's dead centre of town, sandwiched between a multi-story carpark and a derelict shoe factory, Trickers I believe it was called so not much birding, how wrong was I.
There's this bit of old scrap land from an old factory it's bit weird to explain exactly what it looks like (I'll do a photo on Friday) but it's covered in Budleia, so far I have clocked/listed mostly common birds Goldfinch,Blue Tit,Great Tit, Blackbird,House Sparrow,Dunnock,Wren,Robin,Collared Dove,Wood Pigeon,Crow, 2 Grey Wagtails and 1 Pied Wagtail and Feral Pigeons which brings me nicely to the two stars of the show 1 female Sparrowhawk and the best a male Peregrine so far out out of twenty six days on the course I have witnessed the Peregrine hassling the feral Pigeons a total of 10 times and on a couple occasions catching it's prey, so how many people saw this amazing spectacle weirdly just me and one lady who was amazed when she told her colleagues of what was happening in the skies above their heads that all she got was a grunt and shrug of shoulders "Typical response from some" was my reply, she pointed out the House Sparrows and Goldfinches using the holes where bricks were once of the old buildings, I was polite and made out I hadn't, I not sure what was better watching a hunting Peregrine without having to worry about photographing it or sharing a "birding" moment with a complete stranger in such an urban environment? I pointed out the old posters promoting The Beatles "Hard Days Night" that was on one of the walls, which shows the last time the building had been touched, our town is dying!
WEDNESDAY QUIZ: SPOT DOUGLAS IN THE PHOTO BELOW.
CRIMEWATCH UPDATE!
A few rules, anyone who has met me (sorry about that) your answers won't be published until everyone has had a go. Anyone who gets it right will win either 1 Toffee, 1 Fudge or whatever else happens to be in my pocket when I meet you, anyone who says the one with red long hair gets a completely different prize! And no I didn't take the photo our tutor did, God we are a scary looking bunch lol
And finally one bird picture for now, the same wren as last time.


11 comments:

  1. Nice Wren.
    I guess second from right.

    I went to Summer Leys at the weekend. I think the waders will find it hard, unless they have big boots on. Too much water there. The island in front of the double decker hide, (forgotten its name), is under water. Don't know where the Lapwings will nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith you're right about Summer Leys I think the idea is to hold onto the water until the gulls have settled on the other islands before lowering the water levels via the sluice, I hope that's the plan.
      Nope I'm not the second from right.

      Delete
  2. So Douglas, you've turned into a bit of a hedgimicated swot?...Seriously, I hope your studies have turned out well and you 'pass' with distinction.

    That derelict factory/waste ground seems to be a haven in the concrete jungle for those birds, not so if it ever turned into a glass clad office block or flats!! Enjoy it while it lasts.

    Now that quiz!...Well I've scanned the image meticulously and racked my brains until my head nearly exploded and decided that you must be the smart, debonair, sophisticated and intelligent looking one....but!...I couldn't find anyone in the picture that came anywhere close to qualifying for any of those criteria!
    So, I decided to take the scientific approach, I copied and printed out the picture, stuck it to my wall and chucked a dart at it!...Now, I'm guessing that you're not the female in the purple top...are you? So I gave it another go, and I suspect I'm right in guessing that you're not a lamp shade either? Third time lucky and low and behold the answer is crystal clear (right between the eyes, in fact!) you're standing third from the left...I'll take the fudge please my teeth are not up to toffees these days!!... [;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough the college is on of those glass stle buildings, not much wildlife on it sadly.
      Sorry no fudge your dart has let you down :o)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the exam.
    I'll guess second from the right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian, got my fingers crossed etc.
      No that's not me but hand holding a 500mm lens all the time I can see why you plumped for Anthony

      Delete
  4. My guess is that you're the one with the girl's arm draped over his shoulder. Why else would you be showing us this photo, other than you got lucky! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would I do that? :o) My girlfriend would lynch me. Nope it's not me....these fudges taste really nice too:o)

      Delete
  5. NO ONE is going to have another go, these fudges are brilliant, Jersey Fudge y'know lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay then, I like fudge...You're the one standing on the left hand side of the one who's standing four to the left hand side of the one who's standing on the right hand side of the person that I stuck between the eyes with the dart in my first guess!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete