Friday, 18 July 2014

HOW MUCH? 1d Mk3 back.....

I got a call from the camera shop tasked with repairing my Canon 1d Mk3 on Tuesday and received the camera back yesterday, I would love to say "can't wait to use it"etc,etc,blah,blah.
Sadly I can't, the reason is the cost to repair the bloody thing. I swear I am so angry with Canon cameras at the moment. It is going to cost £850 plus to repair, given the second hand retail price for a Mk3 and the fact for an extra £800 you could get a 1d mk4 I told them not to bother with the repair.
Basically the shutter was going to need completely replaced, a new mirror and asscoiated parts also a sensor was not working at all, then a service and some of bits and bobs, which I had thought, I had for some time had a nagging feeling something wasn't right with the camera, images just weren't quite right, missing shots etc. I put this down to me rather then the camera, after all I was doing flight shots. To say I am not happy is an understatement, I'm still undecided as to what I should do next stick with Canon or sell the lot and switch brands after all is the 1d mk4 going to be any better? Here is a brief run down with the troubles I have had with the Mk3: Lens stuck to camera body due to faulty lens release button, 1 faulty sensor (again!!!), factory recall due to mirror sticking in the up posititon (same as current problem!!!), faulty shutter button which left the camera unable to take an image and countless firmware updates to solve the autofocus issues, 1 leaky battery that leaked into battery charger....doen't install confidence does it? Enough bitching here are some images from a camera that canon should've stuck with...the 1d mk2.
 These Common Tern's were taken on a stroll down the River Nene during the early part of the week.
I had interesting time at my new site, the ex-gravel pit, I had a "six birds of prey" day, this included the three kestrels (counted as one) with the adult teachung them to hunt, Sparrowhawk, Hobby,Buzzard, Little Owl and Red Kite still no Barn Owl. Sadly didn't get all six species on image, the Hobby was just to fast and both the Buzzard and Red Kite was to far away.
RECORD SHOT OF ADULT KESTREL TEACHING YOUNGER BIRD TO HUNT, ADULT BIRD TOP RIGHT


SPARROWHAWK

The old Sandmartins weren't on form yesterday, hardly surprising with the Hobby and Sparrowhawk, the young are almost out of there nest holes/fledged and the sparrowhawk and hobby seems to know this, in the last image above look very closey just after the bill and before the eye there are some feathers and it had a full crop not a Sandmartin but a Blackbird, I saw the catch but agin to far away got the bird as it flew past back to it's nesting area.
The Kestrel's don't seem to bother the Sandmartins at the moment and they seem to know that too, I did manage a few images, still not happy though.....when am I ever?



15 comments:

  1. HI David Oh Dear! I am not surprised the steam is coming out of your ears! That sure is a lot of money to fix your camera. These shots from your old camera are great. you certainly know how to do flight shots. Glad I caught up with you again, I did wonder where you were. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret thanks for the kind words it has cheered me up an being called David rather then Doug/Douglas is better then some of the things I have been called lol
      Have a nice weekend too.

      Delete
  2. I'll stick with David. I don't use small sensor cameras. I can always crop.
    I too use Canon but don't abuse them like you birders do.
    Just go to the Canon 500C shoot video and pick your frame for print. It will save you the vast cost of a lens swap.
    Just what I think.
    Posh video is getting so good with 4K and now 5K recording that anything from wedding photography down is perfect on them at up to a 12" print.
    Remember at up tyo sixty frames a second you will never miss a shot.
    Great pictures as always.
    I got a new shutter popped in my 5D II for a hundred and eighty pounds. They sent it back polished up and looking like new. Try Harrison Cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. No shutters to worry about with video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this morning I should be called Lucky, we had two thunderstorms the second one late am my house got struck, no damage but not it was scary., even had builders from across the road check I was OK!
      To put into context about my 1d it even stopped cleaning the sensor basically I would done less damage if I ran over it as for video, it's an idea I'll look into but at the moment I feel like chucking the whole lot in.

      Delete
  4. That sure is one hefty repair bill Derrick, but I have to say, if you can achieve images as brilliant as these above with your 'old' camera...do you really need another one? Yeh!...I know, we can never have too many cameras...lol
    I think I've mentioned these before...Milton Keynes Camera and Camcorder Repairs (01908 501153) seem to have a good reputation. (they put in a new shutter and serviced my 50d for around £150). It might be worth giving them a ring before you sell up and defect to the other side?
    Just thought, is the camera insured?

    Best keep your head down tonight...more thunder storms are on the way!!...(--[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Terry, I did phone around a few shops and the bill seems about right one honest shop said it wouldn't be economical to repair it. There were a few things I didn't list like the sensor cleaner had failed prior to it dying, it is covered on the house insurance but I have had to do one on the chimney so might give it a while, I am happy with the mk2 so will make do, I did see the weather report and cringed

      Delete
  5. Cracking Stuff Douglas, masterclass in BIF photography !

    I have had similar problems with Nikon recently ...... there is nothing to choose between them when it comes to repair costs ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, interesting to hear about the costs of repairs to your Nikon if I go down the route of new camera I might go for the 1d mk4

      Delete
  6. Hi Donald. I did try posting a comment earlier but something strange happened (again!) and it hasn't appeared so here goes again.

    So sorry to hear of the demise of your camera body. I think that John is probably right - not much to choose between Canon and Nikon - and your investment in lenses is probably the biggest consideration.

    You're still getting some nreat images with the Mk2. I particularly like the light on those Tern images!

    I hope that this muggy unpredictable weather leaves us soon. Best wishes - Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rory, I had same issues yesterday with blogger whilst leaving a comment on Keiths blog must be the weather. Really not sure what to do with Canon

      Delete
    2. If you're going to go the Nikon route, Doug, do look at the D7100. 24 megapixel DX format, but with crop facilty, and no low-pass filter (makes for sharper images). My pal Titus has got one, and it knocks spots off my D300s. You can now get a D7100 body for a shade over £800!

      Delete
    3. I'll look into that option but after playing with a friends D4 I have fallen in love lol

      Delete
  7. I'll stick with Doug - can't think of any other men's names beginning with D! Those tern images are absolutely stunning - really captured their classic flight postures!

    You should probably switch to Nikon :p

    Fab bird of prey shots too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lou. Terns earned the nickname "angels of Northamptonshire" as they often save us bird photographers in this neck of the woods and give us something to snap away at:-) Nikon is looking tempting, hope all is OK down your way

      Delete