Thursday, 28 August 2014

HELP NEEDED WITH A LITTLE BROWN JOB

I had a day from hell yesterday, it was due and I was quite surprised it hadn't happen earlier. Oh yeah my trusted ol' bike got a puncture about 10 miles from home yesterday. So I had to walk and push my bike plus the 500mm lens a total of 12 miles (made a short detour). Boy was I pissed off I got about half way home (Cogenhoe Mill campsite) and decided to stop for a quick smoke, some liquid refreshment and sit on the small stone bridge, looking down on crystal clear water watching Perch and Tench lazily swimming up and down the river...easy life for some. I was contemplating wether to paddlock the bike to a lampost and jump on a bus and perhaps come back for the bike. There wasn't too much happening bird wise, a distant Chiff-Chaff and Buzzard was as exciting as it got birdwise.

I should've had my bike pump with me but hadn't put it back in my bag after teasing (blowing air)on one of my long suffering  greyhounds with it, greyhound's revenge!
When I noticed two little brown jobs in the bushes, it was a mammal and not a bird, but I wasn't sure if it was a Field Mouse or Wood Mouse at times in a certain pose it reminded me of a rat, but it was tiny.
 Only a slight difference in these two images



 In the image below shows why I was doubting it wasn't a rat despite it's tiny size, I really aren't certain, mammals aren't my forte.

 I got a nice surprise as I sat on the bridge when one of the two came towards me, looked at me then turned around and went back to eating the berries. It hopped off rather then scuttle and someone once told me if it hops it's a mouse if it scurries/scuttles it's a rat, not sure how scientific that is to be fair.

Any help much appreciated. Either way it was light relief watching it clinging onto the branches going from berry to berry, one false move and it was falling into the river below. Somewhat recharged I carried my long walk home...knowing today I need to get some new bike parts, the tyre has had it, with very little tread left on it.
A QUICK EDIT: THANKS TO TREVOR VIA TWITTER FOR THE ID HELP: WOOD MOUSE.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice and glad you got the ID sorted! Shame about the puncture! How do you carry your 500mm on your bike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of two ways both of which are ideal. The first and most common is with camera and lens in a Lowerpro "tube" bag. That can be a pain when you spot something stop, take the bag off shoulders, lens out of bag only for the bird to go. The second way if I am cycling along a section where birds are likely I'll hand hold in one hand but use my gimbal plate and wedge it on to handle/bike grip, a bit dodgy. I am working on another idea of securing it to the crossbar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lesson learned there Douglas, always make sure you're carrying a pump and a puncture repair kit. Or better still the phone number of a willing friend with a car!

    Beautiful shots of the Wood mouse tucking into the blackberries..a couple of good 'calendar shots' there?

    How about one of those nice wicker baskets fixed to the handlebars to carry the camera and lens...you could do the shopping with it as well!
    I hope the camera/lens can cope with the vibrations when you've got them resting on the handlebars/ crossbar?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is I had the repair kit in the bag but paid heavily for winding up the greyhound. I had a look at the puncture and struggling to see how it happened very odd place for it to happen
      I certainly made the most of the two wood mice their balancing skill was surreal.
      Never thought of a basket:-) funnily because of the gimble plate it's rock steady on the handlebars and I only do it on relatively smooth surface just in case.

      Delete
  4. Thanks! If I'm biking, I usually use my 400mm in a lowpro, but when on site, hang it on my shoulder! I did think about a trailer but very costly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those trollies would be a nightmare for me as I have found a lot of public footpaths have stupid gate setups or paths near impassable. I was considering using the 300mm f2.8 and two times teleconverter for it's weight over the 500mm

      Delete
  5. Great shots of the mouse.
    I used to go through days of punctures and then none at all for months. I used to carry a couple of spare inner tubes but you do need the pump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, thing is with the puncture I don't understand how it happened it was on the inside rim and not the outer rim??

      Delete
  6. I think you got a well-deserved punishment for tormenting your dog, Doug. In fact I'm not even sure that you deserved the compensation with it resulting in that superb sequence with the mice!! ;-}

    Looks like there might be a reasonable weekend in store for us - I hope you're not working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah don't mess with greyhounds their power is mighty. For example Queen Victoria and Albert had two during a a shoot a young Archduke Ferdinand shot her greyhound, the dog recovered, but we all know what happened to the Archduke...
      Guess what, working from Saturday till Tuesday, though weather next week is meant to be good too

      Delete
  7. Great post as usual Douglas, as you don't do huge mileage have you thought about tubeless tyres with a heavy tread ?, ideal for footpaths and the like,

    Cracking work with the wood mice.

    When are you next at the Barn ? I'm looking forwards to the next post on this new site as your understanding grows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was considering tubeless as they would be more practical for the terrain I cover, made me think now. Lol.
    My shift is Saturday 'til Tuesday, weather permitting Wednesday it's starting to get quiet in terms of people walking by.

    ReplyDelete